Chapter 11: Rahim's Teacher

Once Thor and Doragon had embarked on their mission to Snowhaven, Silver returned to Dragonstone; he found Vulduin Xyrrion and Kain Vanguard—with his coffin-shaped case propped against the august couch—waiting for him inside the drawing room, courtesy of the footman. Vulduin donned his Phantom Dust disguise by wearing a black and white mask bearing the black fox symbol of Gundisalvus; yet, he still sported his regal red frock tailcoat embellished with gold buckles and trimmings.

Kain peered at him with his crimson eyes and gave Silver a toothy grin, his fangs and eye color giving away his vampiric nature. A white stripe parted his jet-black hair, intensely contrasting a scarlet cloth wrapped around his neck and stuffed into a black collared gentleman's shirt. Yet, he looked like a wild man with no concern for following a formal dress code: shirt untucked with dirtied black breeches and boots. However, his chiseled face gleamed from a fresh shave.

Silver dug his nails into his palm until his fingers turned white. "Who do you two think you are, letting yourselves freely into my house—?"

The Shadow Emperor lifted his mask; his expressionless pale, sculpted face unnerving his companions upon removing the veil. His deep blue eyes were an empty abyss, piercing the tense air lingering between the two. "Still your Emperor and now your future father-in-law, so might I suggest you sit down and join us, Genesis."

Silver scowled. "I've told you before, Your Imperial Majesty, to call me Silver. Don't tell me what I can't and cannot do, especially in my home."

Kain interrupted before Vulduin could, "Sit your arse down—you're not making any sense," but Silver scoffed as he made himself clear that Vulduin had no right to command his actions.

Vulduin sighed and ran his fingers through his raven feathered hair when Silver begrudgingly offered them tea and refreshments. "Green tea and honey for me, please."

Silver sneered as he wandered into the kitchen. "Like father, like daughter."

When he returned with their drinks of choice—black coffee for Kain—and biscuits, Kain gruffly remarked, "I still believe you're too old to be with her, but I suppose I will never understand what the Crown Princess sees in you."

A pained and twisted look appeared on Silver's face. He lost his stance and almost fell face-first to the floor, but he caught himself and fixed his glasses. Yet, Silver recoiled when Vulduin said through peering over his glass, "But he still has the heart and mind of a child." Yet, the actual reason behind their surprising visit quickly grew apparent. Silver rubbed his temples as he paced about the drawing room when their topic of discussion changed to the unexpected attack on Alfheim; their already tense atmosphere steeped from the grim conversation. Vulduin set his cup down. "What do you make of this, Genesis?"

Growling under his breath, Silver sighed when he paused and held his hands behind his back, contemplatively staring at the roaring fireplace. "From what I've gathered, I believe those creatures used to be normal dragons. However, I highly suspect their alteration is the Lich's work—I have no doubts." He turned around to meet Vulduin's and Kain's terrified gazes. "I fear that necromancer might have used my old research notes from the Well of Souls when he destroyed my laboratory. If so, I believe that these creatures are the result."

Vulduin squinted at him before taking another drink. "This is all based on assumption. It seems that your line of thinking might be improbable, Genesis. After all, the Well was only to bring the dead back. Am I correct?"

"Yes, you are." Silver spun on his heels and lifted his chin. "However, if that magic and research were to fall into the wrong hands—"

A low rumble escaped from Kain's throat when he wholly interrupted. "Wait, are you saying that the Lich recreated the Well?"