Chapter 23: City of Secrets

The days following their encounter with the Kraken were peaceful and serene; their flight was blessed with clear weather as a golden light cracked through the sky, illuminating the monochromatic background. The impatient Selena continued practicing dual-wielding techniques with Azrael, growing faster and more agile during their sparring matches. She had worked up enough strength in her left hand that she could easily switch in the heat of battle.

In between their duels, the trio continued their shooting practices. Rahim had become a proficient gunslinger with Azrael's and Selena's instructions, developing a sharp and cunning eye matching his quick draw. In Selena's opinion, Rahim was more accomplished than the Force's trained snipers; she spared no expense in sharing her jubilation over his prowess, and his face lit up from the endless compliments.

As they soared over the undisturbed crystal clear waters for a week straight, Selena offered Thor the last of the stamina elixir, easing his burning and trembling muscles. He licked his lips and stretched his wings, confirming all was well.

Unable to further contain her excitement, Selena grabbed Thor's horns and leaned forward to spot the islands with the naked eye. To her dismay, she only saw fog dancing across the ocean's surface in the far distance. Do you see anything?

Thor groaned and uncurled his neck. Hmm. I see beautiful waterfalls and marble towers shooting skyward with gold patterns across their gateways.

You're not funny. Selena grunted, crossing her arms over her chest.

If you knew I couldn't, why did you ask?

You're supposed to have much better eyesight than me. I'm very disappointed in you.

Thor huffed; though Selena was teasing, she knew she slightly wounded his pride. Be that as it may, I cannot see anything yet, but we will bask in the glory soon.

I'm just a little impatient. Selena looked over at the dragon egg case. I wonder who will be chosen as handlers.

Let the king and his justiciar figure that out. I'm confident they will host ceremonies for those they would deem worthy.

Selena grinned, disregarding possible complications with the Council's disposition; she relaxed beside a bundle of furs and watched as the sky swirled into the beckoning evening. She counted the stars flickering like candles, eased by the slow, deep rushing of Thor's heartbeat like the ocean's infinite song.

Their bags, boxes, and trunks crusted over with frost from the icy air. Though Rahim had already fallen asleep after spending the last two hours training and keeping watch for the capital, Selena rummaged through her pack, pulled out a wool blanket, and draped it over him. It didn't take long for her to give in, and she fell asleep while Azrael stayed awake and took charge.

By the morning of the twenty-eighth of Goldfire—about a month since the group had left Alfheim—Snowhaven's icy stone fortress became a beautiful sight waiting to greet them.

Small little lights could be seen through the clearing fog, illuminating the glacial walls protecting the Water Kingdom capital collected in three isles. Thor and Doragon soared by four towers reaching the heavens, guarded by an enormous archway. Selena and her friends were greeted by the largest snow-covered island exhibiting a massive crown-shaped castle of ice and stone. Two islets were connected to the main by a thick ice bridge as lights shone from the windows strung across the stone buildings.

The group was stunned by the city's glory, but Rahim bolted from his spot and leaned over the saddle; he opened his eyeglass, examining the capital with admiration and determination. "We'll be coming for you soon, Niamh."