Chapter 20: Death's Masquerade

His Majesty, King Camulus Urileth of Nuvak, stood from his golden throne and parted his way through the crowd. He was the first human of power they had met, dressed in robes of deep purple accentuated with gilt trimmings. A thick, golden crown set with rubies rested upon his balding head, magnifying his deep crimson eyes blazing at the trio for barging into his castle, uninvited and unannounced.

"What is the meaning of this intrusion?" His Majesty repeated, "You're ruining our masquerade ball."

"Masquerade ball?" Selena's group asked in unison and noted each guest's unique, colorful, enchanting mask, embellished with feathers and jewels.

"Yes, and you're quite rude, barging in here without an invitation. Who is important enough to think they can come inside my castle unannounced? I've had enough—Guards!" the king ordered, and his armored sentries took up weapons and shields before stampeding towards Selena and her friends.

Azrael stepped forth with his arms extended; the guests, too afraid to confront them, backed away and allowed him to walk through. "Please, Your Majesty, we mean you and your guests no harm. We're dragon riders from the Imperial Air Force, accompanied by the Crown Princess herself."

The keep gasped at the sudden news; the guards immediately halted when Selena stood up and revealed the imperial sigil on her hand, and the assembly bowed. Yet, the king of Nuvak was the only one unwilling to show Selena the proper respect, but he recoiled and stepped back. "The Crown Princess herself, you say? And dragon riders—well, then I suppose you could stay. But how do we know that you aren't bringers of the plague?"

Selena stepped forward and marched down the guest-made aisle towards His Majesty. "We've just arrived here, Your Highness, and we've come to assist you in cleansing your city."

"Well, isn't this a hoot? A princess and her mere soldiers from the Force want to help out old King Camulus." The king bellowed in laughter to mock her; his guests, hesitant at first, followed his example.

The trio growled in anger from this insult; Thor's roars shattered and disrupted her thoughts. Shall Doragon and I intervene and strike fear into this king's heart?

No, that's not how politics ought to work, my dear. We must convince His Majesty that we are on his side.

The king continued. "Isn't that hilarious? Vidar and the rest of the Council have never bothered to care about my kingdom. Why should I think that this time will be any different? Well, what do you have to say? Speak before I get bored—you won't like me when I'm bored."

Selena growled and snarled like an angry dragon, but she reeled back her wrath when Rahim gripped her shoulder. "Your Majesty, perhaps we ought to speak in private—"

"Absolutely not," the king interrupted, "Either speak with me here and now or leave at once and never return, Your Highness."

Selena's fists trembled at her sides, already infuriated by his lack of respect, but she trod carefully through these dangerous waters. "We're currently on our way to deliver powerful dragon eggs to the Water Kingdom capital that will aid us in the upcoming war against the Lich."

"Your war doesn't concern me—"

"I believe the end of the world concerns everyone, Your Majesty."

King Camulus' upper lip twitched, and he ordered his guards to escort Selena and her friends out, but they refused to show disrespect to the Crown Princess. "You obey me, not some possible imposter—"

Azrael snarled. "You obey your princess and empress, or need I report you to the Council and Her Imperial Highness?" The guests and guards took another trembling step back, and the king growled, but he withheld any further disrespectful remark. "We've grown weary, and while we rest for the evening, we promise to assist in cleansing Nuvak. What say you, Your Majesty?"