Chapter 5: The Mythic Flight

"After reviewing this spectacular performance, I have decided to acquit Crown Princess Selena Liongod of all charges. She will retain her position as a Flying Officer, where she will continue being Thor's handler, under the following two conditions: first, she will be directly under Azrael's watch. If he suspects Liongod is using her Divine powers against the Empire, he and Doragon have the right to strike her and Thor down immediately.

"Secondly, you are prohibited from using your old alias. We are now required to release your valid name, as we in the Council cannot condone hiding fraudulent enlistees."

Selena's face drained of all color upon this announcement, and her head immediately shot up, ignoring the blood dripping from her nostrils. "Your Honor, that shouldn't be allowed—"

The jaded Vidar scoffed, growing weary of her headstrong antics. "Under normal circumstances, you are correct, but we cannot pretend to ignore that a female officer exists; given your unique situation, we are left without a choice."

Selena looked at Silver and her mother; the admiral squinted at Vidar like he was an insect waiting to be dissected or squashed, but her mother remained detached emotionally upon hearing the verdict. "Do the other officers have to know anything other than my actual name?"

Vidar jeered and waved his hand as if to shoo away a pest. "That's up to our discretion," he vaguely said, to which Selena was unsatisfied, "we may or may not release more information."

"That, my good sir, is a complete violation of her privacy," Silver shouted across the courtroom before Cyres or Araneus could protest, "if Liongod so wishes to withhold personal information, she has every right to—"

Vidar banged his gavel. "Silence. Admiral, if you can't restrain yourself, I will hold you in contempt of court."

Silver nearly argued back, his wrath ready to explode until he caught Selena's pleading gaze; he sighed and hung his head in defeat.

Pleased by retaining order, Vidar smirked; Selena understood that this was the Council's way of further punishing and humiliating her. She knew Vidar would completely display her connection to the imperial family for the world to see, possibly turning the public and the Force against her.

Once the other Council members agreed, Vidar banged his gavel. "Case dismissed."

Once everyone was excused from the courtroom, General Araneus ordered Aracania to remove the Silent Vow from Thor at once. During their trek back down the marble staircase, he made amends for Selena's abrupt arrest, explaining he didn't know Vidar's orders until she and Thor were on their way to the Fire Temple.

Yet, Selena was aware. "Sir, there is no need. I understand you wouldn't have just arrested me on the spot like that."

"But you still deserve to know. Once I heard Vidar planned that meeting, I met with him straight away, only for him to overrule my orders. I will not allow that to happen again, and I will do what I can to ensure the Council doesn't turn you into an exotic show for the other officers."

"Sir, I appreciate it. I mainly don't wish others to overwhelm me because I'm the Crown Princess."

Colonel Cyres scoffed. "There is no reason for the others to see your imperial and Divine heritage. Rest assured, you will have the full support of Her Imperial Majesty's Air Force."

General Araneus, however, growled. "Vidar hasn't heard the last of Aracania or me."

Silver's piercing glare shattered the oppressive air. "Sir, it's no wonder you hadn't told me anything. I take it Captain Allendreth didn't know?"