Chapter 22: Fire and Water

Armageddon's cold and nippy air brushed against Selena's cheek. The Turquoise Ocean mirrored the dangling crescent moon as the clouds drifted above, glowing silver and blue. Thor and Doragon had arrived after Tiamat was killed and shared their grief upon learning of her sacrifice. Selena finished making a small grave for Tiamat, setting up a wooden cross embellished with flowers and vines staked in a pile of rocks, and wiped her tears. "Azrael, can you offer a prayer?"

He cleared his throat, held his hands, and bowed his head. "Lord Xyaxon, we bring before you those with the devastating experience of having someone close to them they knew and loved suffer a sudden, violent and needless death. We grieve for those who have to experience this right now, and we pray that you would look down with pity and mercy and meet them right at their point of need in your grace.

"As we lift in prayer those who have to come to terms with the sudden and violent death of a loved one—we pray for Tiamat, who gave her life to save another, that you will welcome this whelpling with open arms. May she find peace and happiness in the afterlife."

"Thank you."

Both Thor and Doragon stood on their haunches, wings unfurled, as they released a lamenting roar echoing across the heavens; they spewed a single torrent of fire shooting overhead like falling stars. Azrael reached out and patted Selena on the shoulder. "Maybe there is hope for the others."

Selena tried to smile through her tears but couldn't bring herself to do it; she knelt before the grave. "You saved me, Tiamat. Maybe one day I can try to save your kind."

Azrael bit his tongue. "Even with this tragic end, I think you made Tiamat happy."

Selena wiped her face on her sleeve. "What do you mean by that?" Azrael shrugged; he stuffed his hands in his pockets and walked away. Her eyes darted between him and the sky, and she smiled. "Thank you."

Keeping the promise she made to herself, she and Thor left to find Chaliss and Rahim once the first hint of light appeared in the sky. With the mist gone, the city was bustling with activity as if the disease never existed. However, the pair overheard gossip among the townspeople that Nuvak needed to find a successor to the throne, and Selena scowled when reminded that Azrael had cursed King Camulus with the plague.

Thor found a spot to land by the water fountain and assisted Selena in dismounting. She followed Azrael's written directions to Chaliss' house while she and Thor ignored the strange looks they received from passersby as they strolled down the widened streets. Selena guessed the residents weren't used to seeing dragons walking around freely.

Chaliss' small house flaunted a small yet dainty garden near the entrance. When they arrived, Selena hesitated. What if she doesn't want to see me?

Thor nudged her closer to the door. That's not true. Knock, and you'll see.

Selena sighed and tapped the door three times. It opened a few moments later, and Chaliss stood in the doorway, her face covered in tears. She rushed over and embraced Selena in a tight hug, offering for her to come inside. Thor, as he was too big, was only able to slip his snout through the doorway.

Chaliss had three fancy bedrooms with the master bath on one side and the other two apartments on the opposite end. Rahim sat on the couch in front of the welcoming fireplace within the elegant parlor attached to a stylish dining room. Translucent curtains adorned the windows, and the entire house shimmered in a light cream tint. Rahim joined them, and the three fell into a group hug. Chaliss offered to make them some tea while Rahim asked about the whelpling and her training, but Selena gave him the grave news. Rahim's face turned pale. "I'm very sorry to hear that, but maybe you were right."