Chapter 4

"So Sonya, this is how the tour works around here. We show you around the place, and tell ya a few simple things; And Bec can do the more.....detailed stuff ." Harriet announced "Then I go get a place for you to sleep. Next to us." Emma said. Sonya nodded in silence. "Who is this, Bec?"
Harriet stopped walking so did Emma, and then Sonya. Harriet turned and faced Sonya quickly and rolled her eyes "You know.....Rebecca; The girl who greeted you earlier. She has like a.....deeper voice. Um, whats the word i'm looking for here. Uh, mature I guess." Harriet turned, and started walking again.

As the sun rose more; Sonya soon realised that their home was surrounded by a huge, tall wall. It was like the box she—all of the Shallowers  woke up in; But bigger. Way bigger. It took Sonya a little while to get what she was looking at, up to her brain.

"Holly crap!" The last word Sonya yelled, echoed on the concrete walls.Or you could say, bounced off every conner of the box and come back at them. Squealing in their ears. Sonya didn't move from her spot. She just stood there in silence, staring at the horrific, smooth walls; Until Emma slapped her on the shoulder and glared over to the walls with her, with the sun shining in her eyes so she was squinting. "Yep. You'll get use to it." Emma looked at Sonya and smiled. Patted her on the back a couple more times and walked closer to Harriet. Showing that it was time to go. Sonya couldn't see at how normal this wall was to these people. But despite the shock she followed the others.

                            *        *       *

"So.....this building over here is called the Blood House. The Cutters use it." Harriet informed "Who are the Cutters?"
"Well, The Cutters are the people who cut our meat like pigs,cows, things like that. Then the Cutters give all the meat to the Fryers which then cook it. That's the Fryers little shack over there." Harriet pointed to a small rustic shack to their left; It had veggies hanging up on some post's. Sonya felt sorry for the animals that have their head cut off.
"Over here is the base, where we have our Keeper meet-"
"What are Keepers?" Sonya burst out. "Just let me finish my sentence" Harriet continued "It's where we have our Keeper meetings. And next to that is the Slammer. The Slammer is our jail; Anyway, Keepers are just people who are the leader of their group. So, we have Cutters, Fryers, Greenies who look after our veggies. Med-Jacks who work in that shack there. The one closest to the forest part of the Shallows. They take care of the people who get sick, hurt themselves or been......stung" Harriet coughed on the last word. "I'm sorry. Could you repeat the last word?"
"I said stung!" Harriet raised her voice on the last word. "Me and Emma only tell ya the simple stuff. Rebecca will teach you all.....that."

A few seconds past without anyone saying a word, until Emma spoke. "Carry on."
"Fair enough.We also have the stick Joggers. Bec will also tell you what those people do. They got the hardest job of all of us Shallower's. Lastly, we have the Builders; And surely your not that dumb, so, I don't have to tell ya what they do."
"So which — i'm going to call it a cluster — are you guys in?"
"I'm a Keeper of the Builders." Emma mumbled. She didn't sound so happy she was in that group. "That's probably why you have strong and firm hands."
"Yeh," Emma turned to face Sonya and smiled. Sonya then faced Harriet. "I'm the Keeper of the Cutters." Harriet said proudly. "Oh. That's a dark job for such a cheerful, sweet, kind, caring and loving person." Sonya crossed her arms and had a mischievous grin on her face; And Emma laughed as she put her hands on her knees and slapped them a couple of times. "H-H-Harriet," Emma's words stumbled as she kept bursting out in laughter. "did.....did ya hear what she said." Harriet frowned and had her eyebrows crest together. She looked at Sonya. And Sonya raised an eyebrow at her friend. "That's bloody hilarious!" Harriet turned the other way and started walking the other way. "Sweet.....i'll show ya sweet." Harriet mumbled from under her breath; As she brushed her hair with one of her hands.