Chapter 5

Emma started to quiet down, and even her breathing out. "So which group will I be in?" Sonya asked as they walked around the Shallows. "Well, you'll try each job for a whole bloody day; And once you've tried all the jobs out; Bec will see which one you're the best at." Emma said when she calmed herself more; With a few little giggles at the start. "I want to be a Keeper like you guys."
"It takes months to become a Keeper. You just got here. Besides, you have to be the best in your group as well as having great leadership skills." Harriet said "Wait.....how long have you guys been here for?" Sonya asked with a worried look on her face. "We've all come up in that box at different times, so it's different for everyone; But Bec's been here the longest. That's why she pretty much is the leader of the Shallows." Harriet said "Yeah but, how long?" A long moment in silence once again past. Emma and Harriet looked at each other. Harriet nodded at Emma to show that she can tell Sonya. "I'm not trying to work ya up or anything but.....nearly three years."

Sonya was in shock and stared at the ground. Emma clapped her hands and spoke "Well, that's enough questions for today. Come on Sonya; Let's go set your hammock up." Emma held her arm around Sonya and started to walk to a big under cover area. Sonya turned and saw Harriet walking a few meters behind with saddening eyes, looking down at where she puts her feet. Sonya straighten herself "Is.....Harriet.....okay?"
"Yeah, she'll be right. Just give her a minute or two. It's harder for her than it is for me." Emma turned and looked at Harriet. "She's been here a little longer than me; And the Joggers still haven't found a way out. But look, Rebecca will inform you about what those stick Joggers do."
"How come you's all keep saying.....stick?"
"It's just, a type of language that we've made up over the years. You'll get it soon."

Sonya and Emma arrived and Emma started setting up Sonya's hammock. Once Emma finished, Harriet arrived. "Alright," Emma started "this will be where you sleep for as long as your here." Sonya nodded "Me and Harriet sleep right here." Emma pointed to the two hammock's next to each other on Sonya's left. All three hammock's were next to each other. "Rebecca will wake ya up in the morning and tell you more about this place." Harriet warned as she climbed into her hammock and covered her face with her pillow. Right after her, Emma  hopped in her hammock; In between of Harriet and Sonya's. Shortly after, Sonya did the same. Harriet started to speak again. As she did, she was whispering and her voice cracked. "You may hear some weird noises tonight. But it's nothin'. It's only the Maze."

Sonya instantly opened her eyes and sat up, facing the two girls still laying in their hammock's. "What Maze?" No one answered. "Harriet.....Emma?WHAT MAZE?" Sonya yelled; But still, no one answered her. All she got was a slight groan. Sonya slowly laid down with her eyes still wide open. She suddenly heard a loud crack in the distance, that echoed. And she got up again. "That's the Maze," Emma said though a sigh. She sounded half asleep.  "You'll get use to it." They soon all fell asleep. Every now and then, Sonya awoke by the sound of the Maze cracking and rumbling. You'll get use to it, Sonya kept telling herself.