Chapter 8

"Hey stick!" Rebecca yelled as Sonya walked away. Sonya turned to face Bec. "Tomorrow you will start trying out jobs for the next 6 days."
"Which one will I do first?"
"You'll be a Cutter for a day and you'll work in the Blood House with Harriet; The Keeper of the Cutter's."
"Sounds great." Sonya said with a thumbs up. And started to walk back to the undercover area. Sonya didn't really want to cut animals heads off; But she was happy she was going to do it with Harriet. "I wonder what animal i'm going to kill tomorrow."
"All kinds." Harriet said from behind. "Oh.....it's just you."
"Yeh. So.....I head your little convo with Bec. Looks like you coming with me tomorrow huh." Harriet bump Sonya on the elbow with her's. "Yeh."
"I'll finally get to show ya how sweet I am." Both Sonya and Harriet laughed a little. "Yeh, I guess so." The two girls arrived at their hammock's so they sat down. "Harriet.....I want to ask you something."
"Sure, hit me with it."
"Well at the end of the tour, we walked to the wall so I could write my name on it,"
"Oh yeah. I remember doing that when I came here."
"You remember? Any way, thats how I got this knife." Sonya pulled the knife the Bec gave her out of her pocket to show Harriet. "I've got one too."
"But, then I saw 6 names crossed off the wall.I know they d—"
"So how was your tour?" Emma said as she sat down. "Good. I was just asking Harriet something."
"Oh sorry Sonya. I was just curious. Carry on."
"I know they died, but how? I wasn't able to get much out of Rebecca."
"Well, most of them were Jogger's. Did Bec ever tell ya what they do?"
"Yeh but, not overly that much. They're people who run the maze. Mapping it. Memorising it. They try to find a way out of here."
"If there even is one." Harriet added. "Come on Harriet. Don't loose hope. We're so close; I can feel it." Emma said trying to cheer Harriet up. "Well it's taken the Jogger's a long time to.....feel it too."
"Don't start your—" Emma was cut off by Sonya. "How long have they been looking?" Harriet and Emma turned and looked at Sonya. "Well once the Shallows were up and running, After more girls came up from the box; Jogger's went in, a little later after Bec got all the other groups ready. So.....About three years." Harriet answered "Three years! Three stick years. No wonder Harriet loosing hope."
"Look Harriet, Sonya's already using our language." Harriet sighed. "Wow would you look at that. She is too. Already started to learn our ways." All three girls were smiling. Which made Sonya feel better.