Chapter 7

"Right! Now info on a sting." Sonya was worried of what she was about to be told. "The Screechers," Rebecca started "they, well, I don't know how they do it or were their stinger even is, but what I do know, is if you've been sung; Then your in serious danger. It's called the Changing.First you start losing your mind. You become angry and want to hit and punch things. Which is usually another Shallower. What we do to prevent this is we tie them up on a bed, in an isolated room. Far for everyone else. But the Medjacks keep a close eye on ya. If they're really lucky then when the month is done. The box will come up and there'll be what we call the Screech serum. But like I said, it's very rare that'll happen. I've been here for like 3 years and we've only gotten the Screech serum two or three times."
"What happens if it doesn't come? The Screech serum."
"That's when things get really bad. You'll get worse every second. And we have no choice but to banish the Shallower that has been stung. We have to get them out in the Maze at night. And they never come back. But, only Joggers get stung. So try not to be fast or tough or have good survival skills. Then I won't choose you to be a Jogger." Bec said with a smile, and patted Sonya on the back. Sonya could tell she was trying to lighten the mood. So Sonya smiled back.

She glared at the walls again, and was trying to figure out how they opened and closed every morning. Sonya was so deep in thought, she didn't even see Rebecca climb down. "Hey stick! You gonna stay up there all day or are ya coming down?" Sonya snapped out of her gaze and looked at where Bec use to be standing next to her. "Hey, i'm down here!" Sonya then looked down. "Oh.....yeah i'm coming."

Sonya started to climb back down the ladder. When she reached the bottom, she noticed that Bec wasn't there. Sonya looked around and saw her walking away again. "Rebecca!" Sonya keep yelling out Bec's name as she ran. "Wait."
"Come on Sonya."
"Slow down."

As Sonya caught up, and started walking beside Rebecca; She could hear her heart pounding. "Hmm," Bec examined the distance Sonya had ran. "I think I will consider you becoming a Jogger." Sonya instantly looked at Bec and held her hands up. "No! No no no no no no no no no. Please no!"
"I was only kidding. Calm down."

When Sonya's heart stopped racing she said "I thought you said not to go out into the Maze."
"Relax, we're not going out there." When they came closer to the wall, Bec stopped, so Sonya did too. Rebecca started to pull something out of her pocket. It was a.....knife. Sonya stared at the sharp blade.
I hope i'm not going to the Blood House.
Oooh I hope Bec isn't a Cutter.
"Here." Bec put the blade closer to Sonya. "Umm, what are you doing?"
"Just take it."
"Your not going to—"
"Just take to damn knife!" Sonya froze. She looked at Rebecca and she nodded showing it was okay to take the knife. Sonya looked back at the knife. She reached out and took it. "Good, now go up there." Sonya walked to the wall and Rebecca followed.

There were names written on the wall. About 44; But 6 were crossed off. Sonya carved her name next to Emma's and Harriet's. She did it slowly and carefully. She wanted it to be neat. S-o-n-y-a. When she was finally finished she asked "Why are their names crossed off?"

Rebecca bowed her head for a second. Then she Covered all the names with bits of ivy; And then she placed her hand on the wall, with her head still facing the ground. "We don't talk about them." Bec kept her hand on the wall for another minute then slowly pulled it off. Sonya felt terrible for asking; But she still really wanted to know what happened to them. After this tour i'm going to go ask Emma and Harriet. She said in her mind.

She patted Rebecca on her shoulder to show that she understood what She was going through. A small tear fell from Rebecca's face. She knew that Rebecca felt responsible for those 6 lives. For all the lives in the Shallows. Sonya smiled at Rebecca "Here." She handed the Knife back. "No, you keep it. It's yours now. Everyone in the Shallows has a blade on them. Never know when you'll need it."
"Thanks." Sonya then started to walk back to the big undercover area to find her two friends. And to get some sleep. She had taken in a lot of new and disturbing information.