Chapter 6

*         *         *
Sonya suddenly felt someone shaking her on the shoulder; But some how she couldn't snap out from her deep sleep. Maybe it's just a dream she thought. "Sonya.....wake up! Sonya."
Soon Sonya remember what Harriet had told her; That Rebecca would wake her up in the morning and tell her more about the Shallows. That has to be her; Sonya told herself. "Sonya, come on.Wakey wakey."

Finally, she half opened one eye and tilted her head. As Sonya spoke, her other eye opened. "Your Rebecca, right?"
"Yeah I am. You should know who I am by now. I already introduced myself to ya. Now lets go. We're burning daylight." Bec started to walk away, but stopped to let Sonya get up. Sonya sat up and stretched, then followed. "Come on." Rebecca spoke as she walked off again. She started to walk to the forest part of the Shallows. Bec stopped, and looked up a tree. Sonya did too, with her mouth open and squinting eyes; She tried really hard to figure out what was up there. It's a.....tree house, thing? Sonya thought. "The Builders built that. It comes in handy sometimes. They're pretty good with their hands. Thanks to Emma."

Sonya looked down to the ground to see how high the platform was. When she looked up again, Rebecca had already started to climb up it. "You coming?" Bec said as she gestured to Sonya to come up. So Sonya climbed up the ladder.

"Come on you stick."
"Who are you calling stick?" Sonya was nearly right at the top. Five more steps, and she was there. As Sonya climbed up the last step she turned and looked at Rebecca, and she was staring out to the cemented walls of what these people call, Maze. "Emma and Harriet said for me to tell you what the Joggers do. Info on a sting, and what the rules are; Am I right?"
"Yeh," Sonya said slowly as she looked out and back at Bec. "Yeh that's about right."

They both stared back out to the walls for a moment, this time there were two Shallowers that stood at the walls; Both wearing rucksack's. They were waiting for something to happen, but what? Suddenly there was a loud noise of metal against metal. Something was cranking open. The giant walls that seemed impossible to move, were parting. It was opening a passage to inside the Maze. As the walls were slowly parting, the two Shallowers were patting each other on their back's."Hey.....good luck girls!" Rebecca yelled to them. The two turned and faced Bec and Sonya, and one of them gave a thumbs up.

When the walls stopped, they ran in. Bec quickly turned to Sonya. "We only have a few rules around here. One, don't get slack with your job. We don't have time for any loners. Two, don't harm another Shallower. We're all like family here. And three," Bec paused for a moment and made herself sound spooky "never go out there. Do understand me?" A lump started to form in Sonya's throat.
"Yeh....I got cha."

Sonya couldn't stop looking at the opening. "Those people out there," Bec pointed to the Maze "they're called Joggers. They're the ones all the Shallowers rely on to find a buggin' way out of the place. Every morning, when that door opens, they run the Maze. Mapping it; Memorising it; Every twist and turn they make, they have to remember. There is no other way out of here than through there." Rebecca was still pointing at the Maze. But soon she dropped her hand.

"How long do they go for?"
"Well, those doors open every morning so they have to close at some point. The walls go back together at 5pm sharp every day. That's why the Joggers are given watches."
"What happens if they don't get back in time?"
"Then they're stuck out there for the night."Rebecca turned and faced Sonya and continued "And no one's ever survived a night in the Maze." Sonya then turned to face Rebecca. Sonya looked her in the eyes, and they were full of fear. "Wha—what happens to them?"
"We call em Screechers. Of course no one's seen one and lived to tell the tale. But they're out there. Hear em every night. Scratching the walls and making this high pitched screech. Trying to get into the Shallows. If you were close enough to them I bet they'll make you go deaf." Bec cranked her head to face the Maze again.
"There's no doubt about it. It's why the walls close every night. So those dumb things can't get in."