Chapter 9

Emma then looked at her watch. "Your not a Jogger. Why do you have a watch?" Sonya asked. "Keeper's have them too."
"Oh.....you have one too Harriet."
"Well i'm a Keeper aren't I?"
"Yeh."
"The walls will close soon so no Screecher's get in." Harriet said.

Sonya turned and faced the opening. She saw the two girls that ran in earlier this morning. "Hey, Ada, Grace. Your cutting it a little close." Harriet yelled to them. "Yeah we know." The girl named Grace yelled back.

Just 3-4 minutes after the Jogger's came back, the walls started slowly closing. The horrible screeching sound of metal against metal started again. Sonya quickly pressed her hands against her ear's; But it was no use. The sound still some how slipped through and roared in her ears.

Once the walls stopped, Sonya faced Harriet and Emma again. "You'll get use to it." Emma said with a smile.

A sudden screechy, high pitched scream echoed through the maze. Then into the Shallows. Sonya almost instantly turned back to the walls. Fear struck her. She wasn't able to move. For her instincts told her not too. And she listened to them. "Screecher's," Harriet said. "Don't worry. Nothin', gets thought those walls." Harriet continued. Emma patted Sonya on the back, which made her jump and shook her out of her gaze. Emma laid down. But before Harriet could lay down too, Sonya asked "Hey, tomorrow can I meet Beth?"
"She is actually a Cutter so, You'll be working with her tomorrow." Harriet yawned and slowly dozed off. So did Sonya.

                       *             *             *

"Morning Sonya. Sun is up bees are busing, Jogger's have already went in the Maze. Your like the last one to wake up." Harriet announced. "Sorry about that." Sonya said as she wiped her eyes. "Be happy it's not as early as when Bec woke ya up." Sonya and Harriet giggled. "Yeh, I guess so." Harriet had her hand behind her back. Sonya leaned to the right then the left. Trying to take a peek of what Harriet was hiding.

"These are for you." Harriet said while handing Sonya some boots. "You'll need them today when you work in the Blood House, and anywhere eles. We don't want a knife dropping on your foot and blood squirting every where again."
"Again?" Sonya yelled. Harriet smiled and dropped the dusty boots on the floor.

"They use to be Chloe's. Worked with me in the Blood House. She was one of my best workers. And my best friend." Harriet giggle. "What happened to her?" Harriet took a deep breath. "Well I don't really know what that girl was thinking." Harriet turned and looked at the walls, then continued. "The jogger's took a while to get back that day. All of us Shallower's crowded around the entrance. Wondering when they'll come back. We were waiting. We all thought the stick Jogger's were dead.

Then the walls started  to close for the night." Harriet took another gasp of air. "Ah those lucky stick's. Just made it back. There was a newbi jogging. She got lost or something. But they made it back. The walls were only a meter apart. Everyone was patting the Jogger's on their back. But I was watching the doors close. Then Chloe Walked to the front of the group. Looked at the walls, then at me. Back at the walls then back at me. I could tell something was wrong. She wasn't herself. Her eyes.....they were.....they had turned black. And her face was full of anger and rage. Her nose started to crunch up. She put one foot in front of her body.But still stared at me. Then she sprinted to the opening that was now half a meter open. I Screamed her name and everyone turned and saw Chloe running in. They yelled for her to come back too. Chloe was in the Maze and her last moments she turned and looked back at me. Then her eyes changed. She was herself again. She tried to run out of the maze but..... The walls closed. I nor anyone else saw her again. It was like something was controlling her."

Harriet looked at Sonya. A tear fell from her cheek. "But then Emma came along,  I got to know her better and we became like family. I promised myself never to let anything happen to Emma like what happened to Chloe."