you're cold as ice and it gives me shivers

"I see your tanlines are faded"

How many times had they found themselves in a random bar over the years? When they were younger and hiding out from the responsiblities they thought they had.

Serenity wondered this as she eyed Alex order the group a drink at the bar. One of Serenity's bodyguards standing vigilant not too far from her.

She turned her head back toward the couple in front of her before Alex could catch her staring.

"So, what's really going on with you and Alex?" Kelley asked with a inquisitive smirk to her freckled face.

Christen raised a confused eyebrow at the question, still not having picked up on any of the tension that had followed them from the greenroom, to the car, and now to the dimly lit, sticky booth.

If Kelley's goal was to catch Serenity off gaurd, it hadn't worked. Serenity knew Kelley was inquisitive when it came to other's loves lives. Christen had told her as much during their entire college career.

Christen and Kelley hadn't gotten together until just before the 2019 World Cup, 4 years prior. Christen had waited a long time for Kelley and Serenity had to hand it to her.

She would have given up if it was up to her. It was up to her and she had given up.

Alex was still at the bar, but this time when Serenity looked up, Alex was staring back at her. Gaze haunted, but unwavering.

"I told you. We met in college." Serenity smiled that charming smile that normally got people off her case. Though, Kelley, had the same smile, she knew that trick, pratically wrote the book on it, so it did little to deter her.

"And what else?"

"Nothing much. We met at a party. She was losing at beer pong because no one wanted to be on the same team as the chick from Berkeley who just trampled on our soccer team. I decided to help her because I have no sense of loyalty. We lost. Badly. And the rest? Well, it isn't my story to tell." Serenity took a sip of the water she'd been nursing. It was a welcome distraction as Kelley continued to stare her down.

Christen turned to Serenity with a frown, "Where were we that night? I only remember ever seeing Alex during games or sportscenter highlight reels."

"Well, you lost that game, so Kelley was at the party too, and you were probably in your dorm sobbing." Serenity bit her lip to keep from laughing.

Christen choked on her drink after trying to voice a yelp, "Hey!"

Serenity laughed, "Am I wrong?"

Christen pouted, falling further into Kelley's side, "No..."

Kelley smiled softly at her girlfriend, "You did used to cry a lot back then, Babe. Actually, you still do."

"No thanks to you." Serenity said offhandedly, making sure to ignore Christen's glare at her. She was immensely happy that her best friend got her happily ever after, but she wasn't going to let Kelley forget that she had to hold Christen while she cried over her on several different occasions.

"I didn't know she liked me!" Kelley screeched in exasperation.

"Why is Kelley yelling?" Alex asked, drinks in hand as she sat next to Serenity in the booth. It hadn't been ideal for either of them but Kelley and Christen were surely not going to give up being next to each other.