brave face, talk so lightly

"Yeah I'm sick of losing soulmates, won't be alone again."

Now, that almost all of her friends were continents away, Serenity had nothing but time on her hands.

Well, nothing but time... if you didn't count the several meetings with her management team about music and Kelsey. Those came frequently, but in the grand scheme of things she was used to it.

In between that, she had nothing but time on her hands.

Christen, Kelley, and Alex had all left for the airport together earlier in the week. Kelley had volunteered Serenity to drive them there in her Rivian RS1. Because surprisingly, she was a little bit of a car nerd too, and the RS1 was the biggest car Serenity owned.

Serenity was happy to haul them to the airport. Though, she tried vehemently to ignore the awkwardness between her and Alex the entire ride.

Naturally, Kelley and Christen wanted to sit next to each other, so that left Alex in the passenger seat. A not uncommon spot for her, what was uncommon was the fact that both Serenity and Alex were keeping their hands to themselves. If they were in a car together, at the very least there would be a hand on a thigh. But then there was nothing. Nothing but stuffy air and O'Press laughter.

When they arrived at the airport drop-off area, Serenity hugged Christen and Kelley, then left Alex with a small kiss on the cheek reflexively. She couldn't even take delight in the taller woman's resulting blush because everything was still awkward and nothing was right and they needed to talk but that was definitely not the time and-

Alex had disappeared into LAX with a raspy 'See you later, Seri' and a side hug.

Kelley and Christen were right behind her, waving their little hearts out to make up for whatever the hell had just happened. Once they were out of sight, Serenity got back into the SUV. The space feeling just as cavernous as it looked now that her friends were no longer playing the worst game of iSPY ever in it.

So, with all the extra free time Serenity had, she was using it rather productively! If she wasn't writing the saddest songs known to man or making sure people saw her out with Kelsey (that involved frequent flights to Las Vegas), she was drowning herself in Ben & Jerry's and thinking about why Alex hated her so much all of a sudden.

She was a productivity savant.

Maybe, Alex was having second thoughts about their arrangement. Maybe, she was tired of Serenity. They had been in each other's presence, whether sexually or not, pretty much every single day since the Wales game.

Though, Serenity couldn't imagine anyone ever getting tired of her. Call her a narcissist if you want, but she knew for a fact that she was pretty awesome to be around.

There was a chance, however slim, that Alex could be jealous of Kelsey. But that idea was as far fetched as they came. Kelsey could barely hold Serenity's hand without signing on a dotted line. Alex got to put her mouth on Serenity's tits whenever she so pleased. What was there to be jealous of?

Even Serenity's obnoxious brain knew Alex wasn't seeing anyone else. When would she even have the time? Between her jobs and Serenity, Alex would have to squeeze someone in between the times of 4:23 a.m. and 4:24 a.m. And even though Serenity had it on good authority that Alex was particularly gifted in bed, even she couldn't get anything done in 60 odd seconds.

So, what was Alex's fucking problem?!

Drew♦️: stop wallowing in your self pity and come wallow in mine instead.

Drew didn't have to tell her twice. She hated this feeling.

Seri 🦄: omw

~♤~