Chapter One - Escaping

~Danny~

I whimpered in pain, my wolf ears folded down against the top of my head and my tail tucked between my legs, as he kicked my ribs once more. I heard one, or more, of them crack and had to bite down on my tongue to stop myself from crying out in pain. I tried to block out the pain as I heard him laughing like the mad man he is.

***

Your probably wondering about the ears and tail. Well I'm one third wolf-shifter, one third vampire and one third human. I was originally completely human before HE kidnapped me. Before you ask, no I don't know his name. HE is a vampire who as far as I know drinks human blood, although I'm not sure if there is even another way for vampires to live. Hell I drink human blood, when HE lets me. Which is only once every month or so, which leaves me incredibly weak. I don't lose control when I haven't had blood, like HE does, but instead just get very very weak. It's like dehydration, but makes me much weaker.

I'm one third vampire, because about two weeks after he kidnapped me, HE forced me to ingest his venom. About a pint or so of it. It tasted awful and left me in pain for about a week. It didn't help that as soon as the burning pain from that was over, HE injected me with some blood from a female wolf-shifter that HE had kidnapped and killed a few weeks after he injected her blood into me. THAT left me in even MORE pain for about another week and a half. Oddly almost half of the pain I had to endure after being injected with her blood was located in my abdomen. Almost as though my organs were rearranging themselves.

After it was all over, I shifted into a brown wolf pup. I'm only slightly larger than the size of a normal wolf. I guess wolf-shifters are huge if I'm a pup and I am still THAT big. As far as I can tell, in wolf form, I'm about three months old by what I remember from the animal hospital I used to volunteer at. I'm, from what I can tell without a mirror or some other type of reflective substance, am completely dark brown, but have a silver tip on my tail and a silver underbelly. I also have this strange almost crown marking on my right thigh that is silver while in wolf form. When I'm extremely scared my wolf ears and tail come out. Not sure if it happens with any other emotion, as I usually only feel fear now. I heal faster than a human, but without blood and good nutrition, I don't heal nearly as fast. Which is really bad seeing as I'm going to escape today. I would say try, but I'm either going to succeed or fail. There will be no try. 

***

Anyway, back to HIM laughing like a lunatic. Which he was, but I'm not going to tell him that. He stared down at me as I curled up into a ball, my tail further between my legs, to try and protect myself in case he started kicking me again. I had my eyes closed tightly, and didn't notice he had turned until I heard his footsteps retreating and the basement door slam shut. I stayed in that position until I heard him lock the many locks he had put on the basement door. I slowly uncurled myself, wincing when my ribs throbbed painfully, and crawled over to the tray of nearly inedible food and small glass of blood he had left for me. 

For the first time, ever, I didn't feel as disgusted as I quickly downed the blood. I knew it would help me immensely in escaping so I knew no matter how much I hated that I needed it, I was happy for it. As I finished eating the food, not that you can really call it that, I heard the front door close and lock. Closing my eyes, so I could focus more on my hearing, I heard his footsteps heading for his car and started to relax knowing he would be gone soon. 

My relief was cut short, when his footsteps stopped and I froze thinking he was going to come back and beat me some more. Or that he wasn't going to go to work today. It wasn't until I heard his car door open and close, that I released the breath of air I had been holding. I listened while his car backed up and drove out of hearing range. 

I stayed in that spot, listening, for about twenty or so minutes. Not that I could tell as I didn't have a watch or anything. Once I was sure he wasn't coming back I stood up, my knees almost buckling as I didn't stand that often as it took less energy to crawl, and limped over to the basement window. Unfortunately it was about two feet above me, as I was only 5'6" and it was at least seven feet off the ground.

Fortunately though the basement wasn't completely empty, although it only held a small bathroom and a disgusting, and tiny, mattress. Limping over to the mattress I lifted it up, so glad that it wasn't heavy as I was not all strong right now. I folded it over itself twice and stood up on it so I could reach the window. 

Right as I smashed my left arm into the window, breaking it and lodging glass into my arm, I stumbled and fell back off the mattress. I cried out in pain when I landed on my back on the ground, effectively breaking my cracked ribs further and even lodged the glass deeper into my arm. I rolled over so I was more on my right side and held my arm close to my chest as silent tears ran down my face. 

After a few minutes, I forced myself back to my feet and folded the mattress again before pulling myself up and crawling through the broken window, tearing my shirt and cutting my stomach and chest with the glass that I hadn't thought to remove. Once I was fully through the window, I rolled onto my back and smiled slightly as I felt the sun shining down on my skin and grass under me for the first time in four years. 

I laid there for a few minutes just enjoying the feeling before I got to my feet and silently dashed, clumsily, to the tree line that was only a few meters away. As I ran through the forest, I could feel twigs, rocks and other objects cutting into my bare feet and decided to shift so I could get further away faster. 

***Days Later***

I tried to continue, back with each step I was becoming more and more weak and soon collapsed under a tree after shifting back into my human form. Fortunately I don't lose my clothes when I shift, or I would be naked right now. Not something I want...ever. 

With the last bit of energy I had, I rolled onto my back and stared up at the tree canopy that shadowed me from the clouded sky. I winced as I moved my left arm so it was resting on my chest and realized it would've been a really good idea if I had taken the glass out before I shifted. 

How long has it been?

How long has it been since I've been in this forest?

Was this even the same forest? Or another?

How long has it been since I've eaten?

How long has it been since I've drank?

How many days have passed since I broke that window and crawled out?

How long has my arm been bleeding?

How much blood have I lost?

How long will it be before someone finds me?

Will they find me alive? Or dead?

Will I ever see my older sister and parents again?

Will HE find me and bring me back to that hell hole? Or kill me?

All these thoughts passed through my mind as I laid down on the ground under this tree, far to exhasted and weak to continue on. As I stared up at the tree canopy and began to lose conscious, which I'm surprised I managed to stay awake this long, I was sure that I was going to die without ever seeing my sister or my parents again. "Izzy." I whispered as a lone tear fell down my cheek and lost all consciousness.