Softlock

Crossposted on AO3 by WeirdQueerCutie

At first, Grian didn't notice anything wrong. He woke as normal, went to the bathroom, ate a potato, got dressed, and got ready for the day. Everything seemed fine, if it weren't for the looming war hanging over everyone's heads.

That is, until he stepped outside.

Hundreds, maybe even thousands of dragon eggs litter the land. Absolutely everywhere. Looking off in the distance, both Mumbo and Scars bases were covered too. So this is what happens when you poke the goat. Probably should have expected that.

Grian sighs. All his plans for the day, or week, are now scrapped, considering he has to now clean this up. And since the war is actually his fault, help Mumbo and Scar clean too.

He takes out a spike, places it below the egg, and let's the egg drop. Immediately, his chest bursts in pain. Shock radiates through him, the agony taking around 30 seconds to clear. Oh no, no no no, does this hurt too?

With alarm bells not even ringing as much as exploding in his head, Grian tries again with another egg. This time he buckles over from pure agony, crying out in pure terror.

This isn't supposed to hurt, why does it have to hurt? Why now?

He looks over the fields of eggs, eyes wide in horror. Part of him wants to fly right over to Xisuma and beg for him to fix him. What kind of player are you, can't even clean up a mess you started. And what kind of watcher needs an admin to help him? Useless. They should have left you in that dying server.

His own mind starts to slowly change into his enemy as familiar insults come back. Grian's heard them all before, yet they hurt no less.

He takes a look at the spike, over at the field, and at the third and final egg in his doorway. He stands up, places the spike below it, and chokes back a scream.

-~-~-~-~-~-

Doc's been feeling rather pleased with himself. After he found a very nice idea in the hivemind about using dragon eggs, and immediately acquired a watchdog to help him spread them through some certain flowers houses. Any day now, they'll give up, leaving Doc victorious. You just can't top this, you can't.

He gets the sudden urge to go look at his work, as they surely saw it by now. Well, maybe not, they do have seriously awful sleep schedules, not like Doc's better but he doesn't get up at 5 PM for the watchers Scar, come on. Have pride, man!

The areas around Scarland are still completely covered, and Doc got the wonderful view of Mumbo coming out of his house, seeing the balls, and immediately going back inside. Mumbo, you brought this on yourself. Well, maybe not, but still.

Now for Grian, the prime suspect in the blowing up of the redstone, and the mastermind of the chickens. Also the recipient of said chickens.

A lot of the balls are cleared out, Doc has to give him that, but there's still hours worth of work left. Maybe he shouldn't have brought Ren in. He may have gotten a little too bloodthirsty. What was interesting though, is Grian is nowhere to be found. Did he give up? Maybe he recruited help? Whatever the answer, it isn't exactly Doc's problem.

He lands in a clear patch, and as he walks around, something starts to feel more and more off. The eggs are just left there after they were broken, and there's a weird crying noise on the wind. Is Grian crying? Because of balls? If that's the case, Doc will help him clean up if it's that big of a deal, but he can't see why someone would be crying over a mess they got themselves into. Literally.

He follows the sound, and finds a very upset sounding ball of feathers. It was shaking with every sob. Found you.

He was tucked into a corner like it was nobody's business, but now it's Doc's, and Grian has to deal with that.

"Grian?" He immediately stops moving, before opening the feathery mess just enough for Doc to see one bright, purple eye. Oh, he must be really upset if he has his true eyes out. I didn't put that many, did I?

Doc takes a seat next to the avian. "Hey, you good man? I didn't put that many, did I?" He mirrors his thoughts aloud.

A sniffle comes from him. "No, it's not that."

"Then what is it?" He asks, confused. If not the balls, why is he crying?

Grian opens his wings, revealing a trail of blood coming out of his mouth, nose, eyes, and ears.

"Wh- Grian!" Doc knows Grian can't die by normal means, but that doesn't mean this isn't extremely concerning!

He brings his hand up. "This is fine. It's my soul that's janky."

Now that, that chills Doc straight to the core. And he is not someone intimidated easily. Physical wounds, while they hurt, you can't really die in this realm. But souls? Souls are something not even the greatest players of all time mess with.

Doc doesn't even know what to say, luckily, Grian continues. "It just really hurts when something falls."

Oh. Oh.

Eggs only break when they fall on something.

Doc really messed up this time, hasn't he?

They look at each other again, and without a single word exchanged, yet total understanding, Doc scoops Grian up, and starts on the long fly to Xisuma's home.

Hiiii guess who's baccckkkkkk

Now I'm gone again, poof, magic