Chapter Thirteen - Finally 18

2008 rang in a new year and 12 days later marked me finally turning 18. I returned home after school finished for the day. I would meet with the family tomorrow so we could exchange presents. But today on the 12th A mini bus was brought up early with 8 of my closest friends one of them was William. We all had breakfast together before we would set off. Liam pulled me to one side.

"Liam, what is it we're leaving?" I ask glancing at the others.

"I wanted to ask you something and I wanted to do it now before I bottle it." that got my attention "Can i officially and finally take you out on a date, only the two of us." he asked and a bright smile crossed my face.

"Yes." I answered "But wait...you know dating me won't be easy. Those who date royals especially senior royals the press can get out of hand."

"I know."

"Do you? Everything up till now had been pretty tame. You're my priavte life and I will try to protect you but if they have one wiff of us officially dating, well you've seen what happened with William and Kate." I warn him, as much as i wanted this I knew better and was a lot more wiser thanks to my older brother.

"Roe, everything will be fine. I promise." I gave him a cautious nod "Happy Birthday." he held up a small wrapped square present. I took it from him returning to a smile. I open it and then the box a dainty silver necklace with a small diamond butterfly.

"I love it, thant you. Will you." he takes the necklace and I move my hair so he can slip it around my neck. and fix it on. The I turn to him but before either of us can say anything else.

"Are you two coming or..." Melissa called stopping mid sentence "You know what, we're totally cool carry on."

"No, we're coming." We head over to the bus and join the others. the door closed behind us and james got into the front and we make the drive. My phone started going off with birthday messages flooding in. I talk and text back and a few hours later we arrived at pleasure beach.

We go on nearly every ride they have, especially the water ones where I end up soaking wet. Laughing and shaking myself off. Before we leave we change into the spare clothes we're given and I tie my hair up. We leave the amusement park and head to south pier eating canyfloss and having coke cola to drink. Crazy by Gnarls Barkley starts playing over the speakers. I start singing and shuffling in front of my friends who are laughing. I for once am oblivious to the fact that I'm in a public place. It was like being with Mum again, for a moment you could forget the title and just have.We moved to the Blackpool tower where we waited and quad to go inside then headed for the ballroom.

"Why on earth did you want to come here?" Betty wondered

"I've always wanted to come here, I think it's cool that this is my first time and it's not an official engagement. Don't be such a party pooper we'll spend a little time here and then go to the top before finally going to Coral Island. Come on live a little." I pulled Liam out onto the dance floor."

"I'm not an expert dancer."

"Well lucky for you I am, just follow my lead you'll be fine. Trust me." he looked down and we began to move around and eventually leading to proper dancing. He dipped me down and pulled me back up as the music came to an end. I stared up at Liam for a moment before turning and clapping. Then we all congregated back together and headed up to the top. We took a lot of pictures and headed back down before out last stop and then we'd make the journey home.

We tried to remain respectful of other comers to Coral Island but some of them did end up getting a bit loud I sushed them as we collected big plushy toys and little ones.

"Okay James, lead the way." I sigh ready for home "Keep up you lot, we don't want to lose anyone." we all file out towards the back people had gathered outside I give them a wave before boarding. Once everyone was accounted for, we pulled out security cars in front and behind us.

"That was so much fun." I breath looking back

"Are you sure you wouldn't have preferred going drinking." Annabelle questioned battling with a giant frog.

"In case you haven't noticed some of us are still underage, if we'd get caught it would be bad, if Roe was caught with us, oh the scandal. Then we'd all be excumnicated by the Princess. Our Roe cannot stand a scandal." Betty drawled being all dramatic.

"Could you stand it? If something goes wrong in your family, it mostly only gets to the rest of your family, maybe those from social families maybe words gets there. For me it's over newspapers and tabloids the world stage." I huff out a breath and turn around

--------

The next day the family congregated for belated birthday celebrations. I came into the drawing room and they were all reading the news paper, which just happened to contain me as the front page news. They all quickly put them away.

"It's fine. I've seen it and was expecting it. To be fair they're quite mild compared to usual tenacity." I sigh coming in. I curtsy

"Granny." i kiss her cheek "Grandpa." I then go to him

"I see you had fun yesterday, eh Roe?" Will grinned

"Tons and tons of fun. You would have been proud, I came home last night and fell asleep standing up." I joked making them chuckle " My room is practically filled to the brim with toys won." I sat down and the birthday giverss began coming, since we are who we were, like chirstmars it was small low cost and usually jokeful. Then I talked with my cousins

"That's a pretty necklace." Zara pointed "Where did you get that?" she wondered as I began to toy with it. I didn't answer at first.

"Liam gave it to me." I smile

"How pretty." they started fading over the gesture

"So there is a rumour going around all the family friend connections." Beatrice smirked "That a certain blonde haired blue eyes actor wasted no time in asking you out on a date."

"Thats the thing with rumours most of the time they're not true, gotta be careful with that grapevine." I chime back

"So it's not true, then?" Eugenie wondered. I walked away smiling and not answering