t w e n t y - t w o ♪

welcome back !

 the drive is silent

the drive is silent...which isn't very surprising.

when i say silent, i mean completely silent. the man doesn't even listen to music he just stares straight ahead as he drives and periodically presses his lips together in deep thought.

i look out the window, my hands folded in my lap. i silently wish i had something to fidget with...or something to sip on to give my something to do. preferably coffee.

soon enough we pull into the parking lot of maverick's and a smile spreads across my lips as i recall my evening here with lillian and dakota. there's a pang in my heart to remind me how much i miss them.

"ready?" mr ward's voice cuts through my thoughts, bringing me back to the present. i look over as i unbuckle the seatbelt, giving him a nod.

as we walk into the restaurant, i'm reminded of how suave and classy it is in here. i wonder if i'm underdressed to have lunch here. before i can give it a second thought, a waitress is leading us to a table.

we sit down and i lay my napkin over my lap, looking around at the other people enjoying their meals and conversation. i wonder if anyone else here is having lunch with their boss...i doubt it. mr ward wordlessly opens his menu and i watch as his eyes scan the pages. i suppose i should do the same.

as we look over our options, a waiter appears with a bottle of water and begins filling the glasses in front
of us, "bonjour, my name is philip and i'll be your server today, can i get you started with any drinks or hors d'œuvres?"

i open my mouth to speak but mr ward beats me to it, "we'll have a charcuterie of your finest meat and cheese selections and a bottle of your pinot blanc." he doesn't look up at the waiter as he hands off his menu, "and i'm going to order my main course now if i may. i'll have the ratatouille."

oh great so i'm supposed to already know what i want?

"and for the lady?" the waiter patiently looks at me.

i blink, "um, actually..." i start nervously, "i'll have the same. ratatouille sounds perfect." i nod, handing him my menu. i watch him walk away before looking down at my hands, again wishing i had something to fiddle with.

"was my wine choice alright with you?" he asks me with raised brows, "i'm not used to having others with me for lunch." clearly.

i press my lips together, "oh no that's perfectly fine, i enjoy most whites." not that we should be drinking wine at noon by, hey, it's five o'clock somewhere i suppose.