t w e n t y - f i v e ♪

back with another chapter! wow! 25 chapters and counting, this may end up being one of my longest stories yet! enjoy :)

it's a quiet saturday. the first one i've had in a while. it's close enough to christmas now to play holiday music and drive to a nearby coffee shop for a peppermint latte.

not wanting to drive all the way to the city for my favorite coffee at the green bean i drive about fifteen minutes away to a local shop with a comfy atmosphere. pulling my coat around me and tucking my nose behind my scarf, i slam my car door shut and jog across the street, pulling the door open.

i'm greeted with all my favorite sounds and smells. the sound of the pressure from a steam wand, beans being ground. the smell of smooth espresso being pulled and a touch of cinnamon. my happy place.

"symphony?" a familiar voice speaks up. my gaze is pulled to the right where anna sits tucked into the corner at a table with only two chairs, a laptop open in front of her as she pulls out one airpod from her ear, a wide smile on her pretty face.

"anna!" i rush over, "hi, how are you?"

she presses her macbook closed and sighs, leaning back in her chair. "busy...a good busy but busy nonetheless. you?"

"good." is all i can think to say which earns a raised brow from her. i laugh, "i'm just enjoying my first chill day off since i started at ward industries."

her nose scrunches as she pulls her brown hair back, grabbing the claw clip resting on the table. "you're still working there?"

my brows pull together, "what do you mean? of course i'm still working there." i laugh again.

"it's just that working for jared ward seems really intense." she says, picking up a white mug and taking a sip of her latte. i blink at her comment. sometimes i forget that at least everyone in the state must know who jared ward is.

"it's not so bad." i reply, i fiddle with the zipper on my coat, my gaze averted. i can't help but think about my parents' comments last night as they warned me i may "taint" my reputation by even claiming friendship with mr ward. or at least that's how it came across to me.

there's a pause before she releases a small laugh, "what's with that look?"

"what look?" i quickly respond, "there was no look." i chuckle.

her brows raise and she closes her laptop as if this conversation suddenly became more interesting than whatever she was working on. if it's anywhere near as boring at my work in college, this conversation probably is more interesting. "you just kind of dazed off for a second."