t h i r t e e n ♪

hi, my name is 'i take forever to update' nice to meet you.

 i think i may throw up

"yeah, he's literally walking straight toward us." dakota says casually, sipping his extra dry white wine which makes me scrunch my nose in disgust.

"well is he looking at us? like, are his eyes set on us as if this is the place he walking or does he just happen to be walking in this general direction?" lillian asks as she keeps her gaze downward, pretending to check her phone.

"i don't know! i don't want to make eye contact with the guy, that'd be awkward." he scoffs.

a moment later i hear a familiar and slightly terrifying voice, the small hint of a british accent making it insanely recognizable, "pardon me, i don't mean to interrupt your evening but i remember you from that little book store my father loved so much and i thought it rude not to say hello." he speaks behind me. i don't think he's noticed that i'm here considering he never met me before i began working for him.

lillian's teeth grind slightly at the way he speaks about her beloved and deceased book store but she throws on a stunning smile, her dark hair shining beautifully under the lights. she holds to her hand to shake his, "yes, i remember." she grins, "wart, is it?"

"ward, actually." i can hear the slightly annoyance in his voice and my eyes close as i fight a laugh.

"my apologies." she pretends to be embarrassed, "it's nice to see you again. won't you take a seat? we'll order another glass of wine."

i still haven't looked at him, too afraid of the awkward encounter or conversation that's bound to happen. i suddenly feel ridiculous in this beautiful dress, wishing i was at home in bed away from this embarrassing display.

"i really should go, i have an early morning but thank you for the offer - " he pauses suddenly and i know he's seen me. i slowly look over, trying to act as if i haven't been hiding my face this entire time, "miss harris. i'm sorry, i didn't see you there." i can tell he's shocked by my being here.

"it's okay." i smile, siting up straight with my hand laid in my lap, the other laid gently over the base of my glass, "really, you're welcome to join us." i tell him, expecting him to reject the offer professionally and leave so i can forget this ever happened.

i watch with an odd feeling as his chocolate brown eyes take in my appearance. i know that my dress and the way i'm presenting myself must look wildly different to the pantsuits and skirts he sees me in each day. he must just be as weirded out to see me outside of work as i am with him. with his jacket gone and his dark gray dress sleeves shirt rolled up to his elbows and his hands tucked in his pockets, he looks quite different. even his hair is a little messed up. probably from stressing over the fate of a multimillion-dollar company at the end of each day.