n i n e t e e n ♪

lately i have been completely motivated to write purely by the comments on my stories and i'm so very thankful for every single person who takes the time to read my works. you are all so special.

 i sit at my desk facing the large windows, the city sprawled out before me as i chew on the end of my pen

if asked, i truly couldn't tell what has gone on the last couple of weeks. a little bit of nothing and a whole lot of odds and ends. it's mostly consisted of learning and discovering all of the responsibilities vivian handled before she left. days filled with looking through old paperwork and files, handling all of the phone calls she used to, dealing with people who are accustomed to dealing with her, and directing a whole lot of people. it hasn't been fun but it hasn't exactly been awful either.

i find myself in a daze most days, my mind filled with flashbacks and daydreams. i wonder to myself where dakota and lillian are now. possibly in colorado somewhere cozy and beautiful as they enjoy one another and their time together. my heart still fills with happiness when i think of the wedding bands that were placed on their fingers only a short time ago. i recall how the snow fell and collected atop my lashes as i grinned, caught in such a surreal moment.

as i think of my best friend's wedding day i see mr ward's face in my mind. only that night he wasn't mr ward, he was jared and i suppose to him i was just "harris." i stare out at the cars passing the building below, feeling an odd sense of sadness for the man across the hall. i watch him work day in and day out and i wonder to myself if i have ever seen him waver in his work ethic and standards. i come to the conclusion that while i have watched him stay later than i and arrive earlier, i have only seen a glimpse of weariness and that was the day i walked in on him taking an accidental nap in his office.

i've done my best to hold onto the wariness i felt towards him in the beginning upon finding out about his dealings with the book store lillian loved so dearly. yet i find myself only feeling a respect and great regard for mr ward and a knowing that he may have a hard exterior but maybe he must? it's possible that so much has happened in his life that if he were to soften, he would be crushed and overwhelmed. maybe he's not willing to take that risk.

i jump higher in my seat than i'd care to admit when my office door opens and the man himself strolls in with his usual unreadable aura, his body halfway through the door as he peaks inside. today he wears an indifferent expression, a white button down shirt rolled up to his elbows, a pair of cream dress pants made of what looks to be an uncomfortable material, a deep brown leather belt, and a matching pair of dress shoes.

he clears his throat and my cheeks redden almost immediately. "miss harris, i require your assistance."

my mouth opens slightly, feeling dry. "yes of course, how can i help you?" i sit up straight, crossing one leg over the other to hopefully look more professional.