t h i r t y ♪

thank you to all of the diligent readers ! you're amazing! what are your plans for valentine's day tomorrow if you have any? are you single? if you're dating someone, tell us about them in the comments so we can squeal with you ahah!

i never thought my father was the fist fighting type...until today.

"dad please!" i jump between he and jared, using myself as a human shield. jared's eyes are alight with fear but i can tell he's fighting to not show it.

"why?" my dad asks sternly, anger pouring off of him in waves, "we specifically told you not to pursue anything with him, symphony! why would you throw this in our faces! do you have no respect for your mother and i? do you have any idea how this will affect us?"

"i wasn't doing anything to you! why are you victimizing yourself?" i defend, stepping forward, "i'm a grown woman! i can choose to take your advice or not; and that's exactly what it is - advice. not a demand, not a command. you can't tell me what to do anymore." my voice is hard.

i glance at my mother in the corner who holds a glass of white wine, swirling it in circles as she stairs down at the liquid. her thin frame is laid across an arm chair in the living room as the fire in the fire place reflects off of her bright eyes and glass.

"she's right, joshua." her voice cuts through the room. my mother has always had a demanding presence. it used to intimidate me, used to convince me that what she wanted was what i wanted.

"i am?"

"she is?"

i'm surprised to hear my mother siding with me but i look over at jared and give him a hopefully smile. hopefully this ugly encounter is about to end.

"yes." she stands up and slowly approaches us, her blonde hair flowing down her back. "she's not a child anymore. she has no obligation to us." she looks pointedly at me, "so maybe it's time she's on her own."

my stomach sinks. i don't know what i expected but it wasn't to be kicked out. "what?" i exclaim.

"mr and mrs harris, i take full responsibility for what occurred. there was truly no way of knowing we were being...recorded. if i'd known the security cameras were battery powered i would have -"

"you would have what?" my dad takes another step toward him, "kissed me daughter elsewhere? at another time perhaps? i don't see any regret in your eyes, son?" he turns his back to us as if to collect his composure before facing us one more. i feel my hands tighten into fists. "i want you to come work for me, symphony. stay away from ward once and for all, this will die down eventually and in the meantime you can work for me and keep your room here. your other option is to forgo this strong advice...and find another place to live. risk not having a job." he shrugs, his face flushed with anger and disbelief when i already begin shaking my head no halfway through his speech.