t w e n t y - n i n e ♪

hello, friends!

 i can't breathe

i can't breathe.

"i really need that water, wesley." i croak, my throat cry. my hand is on my chest, i'm breathing heavily.

in, out, in, out. i tell myself as i try to regulate my breathing long enough to figure out how this came to be. there was a power outage! how is there footage of us and who would do such an awful thing as to giving it to the news station?

"right right, of course." he scrambles to get up, leaving his phone.

my lips are parted as i stare at the screen. the volume is down so all i see is a woman not much older than me mourning words with a maliciously devious look in her eye as if she's got the story of the year.

which i'm sure she very well might.

my hands inch toward the device as if it's hot, my fingers pushing it towards me before warily turning the volume up just loud enough for me to hear.

"- in his office! after the father of ceo jared ward's sudden death, it seems the pain of such a loss is manifesting in some interesting ways; although unoriginal. though the face of our mystery woman is obscured-" she laughs darkly, "we have a clip of the two or them leaving the building together last night." it cuts to a blurry of jared with his arms around me. he was simply making sure i didn't fall but from an outsider's perspective, it looks like we're making a fast getaway and getting cozy while doing so.

i close my eyes and groan, a headache coming on. "this can't be happening."

"and these were taken just this morning outside of one of mr ward's residences." my eyes widen and i feel my stomach flip when i see several photos of me leaving jared's condo this morning. have people been following me? how? why?

"miss symphony harris, mr ward's personal assistant, leaving his city condo wearing the same clothes as she was the night before. coincidence? we think not." the clip ends and i suddenly feel so does life itself.

i always thought as a teenager it was a little dramatic to say, "my life is over," after a big terrible event happens. but that was when it was a bad haircut or rejection from the cute guy in homeroom - not this. my entire job, my relationship with my parents; life as i know it is truly over. things can never be the same.

the whole world - or those who know who jared ward is - think i slept with my boss. how will i ever live this down?

i barely notice the rushed footsteps coming towards the table. then a glass being set in front of me. my glassy eyes stare blankly down at the table. maybe if i just sit here and stare forever, i'll have to confront this. i'll never have to see the affect of it.