Chapter 19- The Sacrifice

Finn stepped off the Falcon back on Ajan Kloss, holding his wound, calling out for help. 

Poe ran up to him. "Damnit man! You're always getting hurt! How many lives have you got now?" He laughed, but noticed Finn was quiet. "Hey, what's going on?" He still couldn't speak, Chewie walked from the Falcon, down the ramp holding onto Rey's body. "Oh my Gods, no…she…she's…"

"Dead! She's fuckin dead!" Finn screamed out, dropping to the floor, finally letting the emotions go at the realization that she was gone. The Resistance fighters heard the commotion, staring at the scene unfolding. Some that knew the young scavenger started to weep. 

Leia came out, holding onto C-3PO, she had already been crying, already felt her death as it happened. "Chewie…take her…we need to…prep for her funeral." 

Finn grabbed Chewie's arm, "no! Fuck that. There's got to be a way to bring her back! Leia this cant be it. This can't be. I have to find a way." 

Poe pushed him back and hugged him tight, as Finn sobbed uncontrollably, watching as they took her away. BB8 beeped sorrowful as her body passed, his friend was gone. Their friend was gone. The base was quiet and still, no joy, no laughter only silence and quiet sobs from the ones affected most. 

R2-D2 beeped at Leia, she looked over to him. "That is interesting, I don't know why she hasn't become one with the Force."

C3PO chimed in. "There may be a way to bring her back."

"How?" Poe asked the droid. 

"A life, for a life. Only to be done by a Force user. Transfer their life Force to her. I am not sure if it's ever been achieved."

"But that means…if it works someone has to die." Poe looked at Leia.

"I know who I would offer, Kylo Ren." Finn walked in, bandaged, face puffy from crying. 

Leia turned to him, it still pained her to hear her son being seen in this way. "It doesn't work that way Finn. One has to give their life to the other, it's not forced. I will try." 

"What?!! Leia no! You are the General for Gods sake!" Poe shook his head in disbelief. 

Leia gave a gentle smile, "Poe, it's okay. I am an old woman now who's lived a full life. It's time for me to pass the reins to someone else, someone like you. You will lead the Resistance to victory."

"Oh dear, I did not see that coming." C3PO said.

"Is that sarcasm? No seriously, is that sarcasm?" Poe looked at Finn, he gave a pained chuckle. 

"Absolutely not, my system doesn't understand the concept of sarcasm Master Dameron." C3PO looked at him, appalled at the accusation.

"Well…okay then…it's going to be hard following in your footsteps."

"Don't follow my footsteps Poe, you continue to be who you are. Lead them, flyboy." They laughed at the nickname, remembering their fallen friend, Admiral Holdo. 

"Thank you, Leia. Wait…don't you want to say goodbye to your people?"

"I would, but that would make it harder."

"D'Acy and Maz Kanata at least, I'll go find them." Poe ran off to go find them. 

Finn walked around the slab that held her body, brushing the hair from her face, she looked so at peace and felt guilty and selfish to bring her back from Leia’s sacrifice. But can he go on without her? Can he continue on this Jedi path without his partner? So many questions swimming in his head and he pushed them aside, to hell with guilt and selfishness, thinking to himself. "I don't know what to say General. You have been a phenomenal teacher and leader. I don't think Rey would be okay with this."

"I think if it was you, she would be hesitant but ultimately it is up to me. It's okay Finn, do not let my sacrifice be in vain or cause you guilt. I have made peace and it's time for me to be one with the Force." 

Maz Kanata and Captain D'Acy came in, already with tears in their eyes. 

D'Acy pulled Leia into a tight hug, "I'm tired of saying goodbye to the people dear to my heart."

"I will miss you as well, friend." Leia gave a tearful, endearing smile towards everyone, "I thank you all for trusting me with your lives all these years and for fighting against the many threats to our peaceful society even when all hope seemed lost. Please continue to fight and never lose hope. I love you all. May the Force be with you all, always" They hugged her one by one leaving the room.

"I will stay and help you." Maz grabbed her hand, helping her lay down on the bed next to Rey. 

"Thank you, Maz. You have been a loyal friend for so many years."

"No, thank you for allowing me to be here for you General." 

The room was empty and silent, only Maz watching the scene unfold. Leia grabbed Rey's hand, closing her eyes and in the other clutched a small wooden sculpture of a saber close to her heart. 'Ben' escaped from her lips, the last word she would utter as she transferred her life force to Rey. Her hand fell, with the wooden saber falling to the ground. 

Minutes go by, feeling like hours, Maz could feel the moment Leia’s  presence was gone and finally took a breath she didn't realize she was holding. Walking over to Rey, she touched her forehead, wondering how long it would take, or if it would even work. She checked her pulse, still nothing, body still cold. Maz started to panic, maybe it didn't work and Leia sacrificed herself for nothing. Panic set in, chest moving up and down heavily. 

"Rey please, this has to work." Maz laid her head down, trying to be strong and not break down. 

Maz laid there not moving, repeated over and over for Rey to wake up. She wasn't sure how much time had passed, when Finn, Poe, and Chewie finally came back in, slowly. They all looked between one another, knowing that it didn't work and they both were now gone. 

Chewie growled at her, causing her to startle. "No, I can't go. What if it works? We've never seen this done so no one knows how long it could take." Maz gazed at him, tears fighting it's way from her eyes. 

"Maz, I don't think it worked. Maybe this is what was destined to be." Poe put his hand on her shoulder, giving her a gentle squeeze. 

Maz looked between the two women one last time, finally letting the tears fall. She hugged Chewie and Poe tightly. Finn stood there, motionless. He felt numb at this point, so sure it would work and the feeling of regret and utter disappointment would destroy him. 

"He will die." Finn said in a low tone, barely a whisper. Poe was the only one who heard him, he couldn't react. Finn was too quick and dashed out of the room, on a mission to find and kill Kylo Ren.