Chapter 21

I snapped my eyes open as I was woken up by a sound in the house. I got up groggily and opened my door as I looked at the kitchen and the living room, only to see nothing. I made my way downstairs as there was a very putrid smell coming from the bathroom.

I didn't hesitate as I opened the bathroom door. And I saw a thing eating my dad's body. Raw. Eating his intestines. Bloody. The fear I had watching that event made me unable to move even a finger.

I tried to run away but my legs didn't work. I tried to summon my magic but my hands didn't work. All I could do is to see that monster eating dad's intestines. 

Then, that thing snapped its eyes on me and smiled. Its smile was wicked, pointy, rotten teeth. "DadDy tasTEs so GoOD." It said as its voice was heavily modified, as if it was glitched or broken. "D-Daddy ?" I stuttered due to the shear terror I experienced. "i wONDer if You TASte tHe saME Bro." It said, launching itself at me.

*

"FUCKING BITCH !" I yelled as I suddenly woke up, for real this time. I looked around as my vision was blurry and my breath was heavy and uneven. "That wasn't real." I said to myself trying to compose myself. "It was just a nightmare." I said, looking at the mirror on my desk. "I'm still alive, I'm still here." I said, remembering that creature. Its voice reminded me of someone.

I shook my head and made my way towards my door, opening it. Then I saw nothing. I panicked for a second but I remembered something. Dad was out of town. I sighed of relief and send him a message, telling him that I was alright. Then I made my way to the kitchen to make myself a cup of milk.

Then I turned on the T.V since I had nothing better to do. I looked at the time and it was 12:25. I looked at the T.V since it was on the news channel. The title of that news was 'Several Disappearances of Monsters.' 

"Since two weeks, monsters seems to be disappearing without leaving a magical or physical trace. A curfew for monsters will be out for their safety. Now, let's hear the Ambassador's words on that subject." The news lady said as the diffusion turned into a conference. Frisk's conference.

"I am well awake of the situation regarding the sudden disappearance of monsters around the city. I will make sure to do everything to return those monsters to their loved ones. As why they are disappearing, we are working on that, and I'll be the one telling the results of that case." Frisk said and then the diffusion turned back into the news lady.

"Fucking town." I said to myself as I made my way towards the couch in the living room. Then I checked my phone to see that Chara sent me a message. Telling me that she'll be going to 'that damned conference where nobody cares for her'. I sighed as I didn't know why. But I couldn't simply ask, so I decided to respond by a nice 'good morning to you too.' 

Then I heard some knocks on the door. I got up and answered the knocks, I was surprised as I saw two dudes in a suit. 

"Hello sir, forgive us to bother you on a Sunday, but we would like to ask you a few questions." One dude said, they were both wearing sunglasses, the spy type. They seemed suspicious, but I could play their games.

"Yes, of course." I only said as the second dude brought out a ... purple sharpened stone. "Did you see anyone using that type of stone recently ?" The first one said. "I'm afraid not sir." I said without a single thought. "Okay, can you feel magic around you ?" The first one asked. "No sir, I am not potent with magic." I responded without hesitation once again. "Last question, do you know what Merged is ?" The second one asked. The first one looked surprised and snapped his head on his colleague.

"What are you asking ?!" The first one asked while whispering. "If he truly isn't that good with magic, we could use him." The second one said, then the first one nodded as she turned his head to me and smiled. "Could you answer his question please ?" The first one asked, putting his sunglasses away, revealing his brown eyes.

Something was off with them from the beginning. But then I knew that they weren't some random dudes who tried to sell their product. As soon I looked in his eyes, I saw his true intent. He knew how I was. But I decided to play dumb and shook my head.

"No sir I don't know, now if you'll excuse me, I need to call a friend of mine about something important." I said as I nodded to them. I took out my phone and called a certain person. I just hoped that they were available.

"Hello ?" I heard on the phone. "Heeeey Frisk, about that homework we needed to do, how about you come with Chara and Daniel and we'll do that together !" I said, sounding hyper excited as I saw the two dudes looking at each other with worries. "Thank you for your time." They said as they quickly ran off.

"Are you truly Y/N ?" Frisk asked. Then I scoffed and closed the door when I entered my house. "Excuse me, I wanted to make sure of something." I only said as I got into my couch. "What's that something ?" Frisk asked, then I had an idea. "I'll call the group, one sec." I said as I hung up the call and called the group.

"Okay, I'm here." Frisk said. "Weren't you at a conference ?" I asked, while waiting for the others. "That was sooner, you saw that ?" She asked, then I heard a joining sound. "Yeah I saw your thing. That's why I wanted to call the group." I said then looked at the phone. I saw that everybody was there.

"Great, everyone's here." I only said as I sighed. "What's going on ?"  "What's up ?" Chara and Daniel said at the same time. Then I explained what just happened.

"Merged ?" Frisk asked. Then I thought for a bit. They did asked me if I already saw that stone and if I could sense magic around me. Me telling them no to both of them could be useful. "Seems like the name of their collective. And I have a hunch that they're involved with the current events with monsters." I said as I could hear Frisk and Chara gasp. "Are they killing them ?" Daniel asked. "No, when monsters are killed, their bodies become dust." Frisk said, of course she would know.

"That's ... almost nerve-wracking." I said as I thought of a little Froggit being turned to dust. "Yeah, yeah it is." Chara said, but her voice was shaky. "You alright ?" I asked her. "Yeah, don't worry, just thinking of that..." She trailed off. "Yeah, that's not too happy." I said.

"So they're not killing monsters. Maybe they're kidnapping them ?" Daniel asked as a hypothesis. "That could be right. But why ?" I asked. "Maybe to put a lot a pressure into me. There's a lot of groups like that." Frisk said as I heard Chara 'hmm'd'. "So they're just racists people who wants to make you stressed." I resumed that as I tried to search something more.

"Yeah, that's right." Frisk only said. Why I feel like there's more. It was the same stone that those guys used when they tried to hurt Chara. Maybe that's why they asked about my magic sensibility. Maybe they planned that attack. 

"That's sick." I heard Daniel said as he seemed to be laughing. "Why're you laughing ?" I asked. "You weren't here ?" Chara asked. "Sorry, I was in my thoughts." I said, then I could slight giggles from Chara's end. "Well, Daniel was telling us about a game mechanic in his game." Frisk said.

*

That day wasn't eventful apart for those dudes citing 'Merged' as something. An item, a collective, that I didn't know. But, what if those guys were on the same side of those who attacked Chara and I ?

Did they trace me ? Did they trace Chara ? Those questions couldn't be answered. I just hoped that it was just a stroke of luck for them. 

But, but if they were some kind of sect against the monsters, and they were acting like that.

Then I felt it.

I felt that there were going to be a real problem.