Chapter 5 - Me Plus Three

I heard the whispers and giggles around the school. How could I not? No one was trying to be discrete about what had happened, they pointed and gazed at my wet clothes in curiosity.

No matter what people were saying, I managed to hold my head up and keep my back straight. If I was to let their words and taunts get to me then they win. Robin wins. And I simply could not let that happen.

I closed my eyes and took a breath, when I opened them again Mabel's face was inches away from mine. Her nose was pinched and her eyebrows closely knitted together. I took a step back in surprise and found Penny standing beside her.

"We heard what happened," Penny said with an sympathetic tone.

"Not heard, we saw the video Matt posted," Mabel cut her off, "are you okay?"

A fake smile plastered my lips, "I'm fine, it was just a silly joke played by some children. What was it suppose to do? Kill me?"

The girls shared a quick look. If I hadn't been staring right at them, I probably would've missed it but their quick eyes shifted back to me and Penny swallowed. If they knew I was lying they didn't pester me about it anymore.

Instead, Penny linked arms with me and together they led me away to our usual table in the cafeteria.

The remaining of the day went by slow. The classes dragged on as if to taunt me and to let me soak in hundreds of thoughts cradled by the uncomforted water still drying in my jeans. All I needed was to get home, take a hot shower and let the day go.

The day needed to pass and I could move onto the next and hopefully my parents wouldn't find out a missed a class.

A reminder came up on my lock screen, I unlocked my phone to read it.

Tutoring after school.

Of course. Of course this day couldn't get any better. As soon as the bell rings, there would be no breath of relief as my day will be officially over. No. I will be walking to the library and having to teach some kids simple maths.

I slammed my pen down and beside me, Penny shot me a concerned glance but I didn't want to worry her after I had spent both my breaks reassuring both Penny and Mabel that I was perfectly okay and not wanting to curl up into a little ball of embarrassment. I gave her a small smile.

The bell chimed and I slowly closed my book and slowly opened my bag to slowly put my book and pencil case in. Unfortunately time alway seems to turn the opposite way when we need it.

"You better hurry if you want to get to tutoring on time," Penny showed me her watch and that did it for me. I threw my bag over my back and stood up.

"I'll see you tomorrow," I waved her goodbye and rushed out of the classroom.

Down to the library I went. I watched all the other students pass by me, going home to enjoy their afternoons. I could've been doing the same thing, making notes from today's classes or even doing something with my friends but no. Nope. I was walking into the library with a fake smile and no hope.

"Alyssa, glad you've made it," Miss Lad said, placing a hand on my back, "why don't you go take a seat with the other tutors? I'll be assigning your students in a moment."

I took a seat in a row of chairs that had been set up, the girl sitting next to me nodded. Bianca, I believed her name was, I gave a short nod back before looking back over to Miss Lad, standing in front of all the students.

"Good afternoon, everyone, thank you all for coming today as our tutoring program commences this year. We have a good even amount of tutors to students so most tutors will have one to two students, I'll just mark the roll and see if everyone is here then partner you guys up."