Chapter 17 - Undoing Our Wrongs

I don't know how I kept ending up in these awkward situations where my mouth was bone dry and I was miserably cold despite wearing the softest sweater ever.

But there I was, standing at the bottom of my steps. The front door right there and I wasn't running inside to go take a hot shower.

It was because Robin wasn't moving. It wasn't like he was being expected to be invited in, he had Matt and his little sister, Mel, in the car. They had places to be but he was in no rush.

The only reason I hadn't slammed the door on his face was because he looked so serious, and kept opening his mouth to speak before closing it.

I actually felt bad for him.

"Matt and I are alright now," I said, trying to fill up the silence, "we had a talk."

"That's good," His voice distant.

"Yep. Though I wouldn't say we're friends... more like we've put the fact I slapped him behind us."

Then his eyes drew back to mine and he smiled, as if he had been intensely listening the entire time. I suddenly had all his attention and now I didn't know what else to say.

Luckily I didn't have to.

"I know he comes off cold to other people but he never means to offend them, some people just have flaws and his happen to be social skills," Robin said.

I raised my eyebrows, "honestly, I think his social skills would vastly improve if he just got people's names right."

He broke into laughter, "Matt's been my best friend for years and I still get called Rowan. I've also gotten Roman, Robert and Romeo, the dude's just really awful at names no matter the person."

I couldn't help but chuckle, I had never met a person with such a strange flaw. Knowing someone's name and still getting it wrong, that was a bit worrying on Matt's behalf.

I glanced over to the car. The light was on but dim and I could see Matt and Mel playing a clapping game in the backseat.

They were both laughing. I had never seen Matt so happy like that. Just like weeks ago, I had never seen Robin so happy around me.

"If you had a car this entire time... why did you ride your bike here the other week?"

"My dad was borrowing it," Robin stretched, "and I always see you on your bike so I thought I'd give it a shot. Mind you, I am never doing that again."

"Don't you play, like, the most vigorous position in football?" I frowned.

"Aw, you remembered," he gushed and I felt the urged to punch him.

"Because you never shut up about it," I said instead.

"You got me there. Alright, Mcurth, I'm out. I'll be sleeping like a tree trunk tonight."

He let out a big yawn and saluted me goodbye. But I wasn't ready to say goodbye, I had burning questions that I needed answers to before one of us ruined this nice thing we had going on.

"Wait," I said and touched his shoulder. He stopped and gave me a strange look.

"I need to know about the party. Why can't I remember anything?"

He did this weird sigh that had a smile, "you acted like anyone else at a party. You drank, played some games, if you embarrassed yourself no one cared, they were all as drunk as you."

"And what happened after you gave me that bottle to drink?" I crossed my arms.

"I don't know, the boys carried you off. By the time we saw each other again, you were so exhausted that I called your brother."