Chapter 27 - Our First Kiss

Robin's hand gripped the side of the door as if it were the only thing keeping him grounded. I didn't know what to do. If I should even try to get involved.

I couldn't believe this woman was Robin's mum, but now, it made sense.

Though her eyes were hazel, they shared the same depth that could go on forever and look so devastating yet hopeful at the same time. I hadn't seen it in any of his other family members but he mimicked his mother's so well.

"Please, Robin... I've been wanting to visit you all for a long while now," if her voice went any louder it would snap off and break.

He laughed, so sharp and bitter, "seriously? And how long is that? Because we've been waiting for you for five years."

His mother started to tear up and Robin seemed to break from his trance, turning back to his home before looking directly at me.

"Come on, Lyss, you're going home," he instructed me. Unsure what else I could do, I decided to listen to avoid any more unwanted frustration.

I walked outside and he closed the door, taking the keys out of his pocket and locking it. He grabbed my hand and walked past his mother.

"Please. Please, I'm better now. I promise," she begged, trying to grab at his jacket.

"Let go of me."

"Robin, I stand out here every night. I've been doing it for months, waiting for the right moment," she said then looked at me, "she saw me— she saw me one time, right? Tell him!"

I could feel my cheeks turning red, "yes... I saw you once."

"Don't talk to her," he said to me, "she's not worth it."

Now his mother was really starting to cry, tears bubbling down her cheeks and I felt my heart strain.

"Please don't say that," she whispered.

Then he let go of my hand and stepped closer to his mum pointing a finger at her face.

"What? You want me to compliment you?" He seethed, "congrats for being the most absent mother of the year, Jenny, five years running. Now I just entertained your four children for the past hour while you... what? Stood out the front trying to muster the courage? Get outta here."

She grabbed his jacket and tried to shake him, but she was so much more fragile than him.

"Don't speak to me like that! I love those kids!" She bawled.

Robin grabbed her hands and shoved them off him, "if you loved them then you'd be inside tucking them into bed. Not out here."

He walked over to the car and turned it on, I opened the passenger's door but hesitated to get in. Turning around to see Robin's mother, Jenny sobbing.

"Lyss, get in the car," Robin warned me.

I shut my eyes and got in, guilt eating me up for leaving someone so delicate outside alone, but I knew if Robin was mad at her it was for a good reason. Though, I wasn't sure what told me that, I just believed it.

So, we drove off, leaving his mother weeping in the front yard. I felt guilty, leaving her behind like that but I knew better than to involve myself in something I didn't know about.

Robin drove about two streets away before stopping at a lonely intersection. He hit the steering wheel and swore loudly.

"Okay, let's pull over. You're in no position to drive," I said gently, "please."

Thankfully, he did as I asked.

He turned the car off and got out, walking up and down the pathway, mumbling to himself.