Chapter 15 - Together As Intended

We were at the edge of the forest that ended the suburb with the pressed together homes, unable to make room for the waves of flora and fauna.

"Where even are we?" Robin asked, looking around.

I was still walking along with confidence.

"Just up further," I promised.

"You know, when you said jigging, I didn't expect walking a marathon," Mila sighed.

"Trust me, it'll be very worth it."

"Maybe she's a serial killer about to lead us to our deaths," Robin's eyes went wide.

The girls laughed by I could tell they deeply considered it for a second. I didn't respond either way.

Instead, I found the opening to the forest and sped up.

It was a wooden bridge, just slightly above the ground to avoid the big tree roots and stepping on the foliage, damaging the nature.

I looked back at them with a big smile.

"Ta-da!" I said and stepped onto the wooden planks.

Mila tilted her head to the side, "is this it?"

"No..."

"So where does it go to?" Nikki asked.

I didn't answer and kept walking, giving them no choice but to follow.

The forest was a mix of reds and oranges, the perfect kind of Autumn effect as the breeze picked up the dead leaves and made them dance about.

I pulled my jacket closer together and looked back to see how the others were doing.

Nikki and Mila were mesmerised. I didn't blame them, there was something so refreshing about standing in the forest rather than looking at a photograph.

I could smell the fresh pine and reached out to grab a leaf, crushing it in my palm. We were alone, able to breathe in for however long we wished and there be no consequences because the air was crisp and needed to be shared.

The girls could feel it but I was unsure about Robin. He kept looking up and then back down at his phone, typing furiously and a few steps behind the rest of us.

I couldn't understand how someone could lock themselves away from the experience around them.

I turned my head forward before he had the chance to look up again. No way I'd let his ego have that.

We walked along the wooden bridge for around forty minutes, but I knew we were almost there.

I had been here so many times, I'd lost count and trees that looked entirely normal to others, I had picked them as my landmarks long ago.

The tree to my right grew so close to the bridge's wooden railing, it's branches hanging over. I reached out and touch the knothole I use to leave flowers in.

Then the bridge ended and welcomed a grassy opening that quickly led to a river.

"We're here," I said and Nikki sighed in relief.

"Oh my god," Mila exclaimed.

Nikki and Robin followed to where she was looking and their eyes also widened in shock.

"A waterfall?" Nikki smiled, "it's so beautiful."

Mila grinned at me, "okay, now you can say ta-da."

"Very funny," I rolled my eyes.

We placed our bags by a nearby tree and took off our shoes.

Robin stretched widely, "how'd you find this place, Mcurth?"