Chapter 20 - It's Always Unexpected

As the game ended, crowds started to make their way towards the parking lot.

Mabel and I walked down to the locker rooms where Kei was waiting in the hallway, leaning against the wall and looking up at the ceiling.

"You played good," Mabel said, seeing the disappointment in his face.

"Thanks," he responded flatly.

We started to make our way to the parking lot, in silence, until Mabel's phone began beeping and she told us she'd be right back.

"Are you okay?" I asked once we were alone.

Kei sighed, "I'm not gonna lie, I did feel like a headless chicken on the field running back and forth. But I understand."

"Understand what?"

"I replaced one of their friends. He kept getting detentions so they told him he couldn't play. Even if that's not my fault, it'll still take some time for them to realise."

I found myself taking his hand and squeezing it, "it's only a matter of time. They can't deny the best player in the team."

He smiled down at me, "you sure know how to up someone's confidence."

"Even if you felt like a headless chicken, you are smarter than all of them combined. That's not even a compliment, that's a basic fact."

Then Kei laughed and I breathed a sigh of relief that he wasn't going to let it get him down.

But he stopped walking and instead reached for my other hand, looking into my eyes.

I could feel my heart beginning to speed up and despite the crowds of people, it was just the two of us.

"Thank you for being so supportive," he said, "I really like you, Alyssa, a lot and—"

He dropped my hands, I frowned but then heard Mabel's voice behind me and understood why he did it.

Who knew how Mabel would react if she saw her best friend and cousin being romantic?

"So sorry guys! I was taking a call from this uni, answering my questions. Important stuff," Mabel explained and we all walked over to Mabel's mum's car.

Kei opened the car door, "bye, Alyssa, thanks for the encouragement."

Before Mabel got into the car and leapt forward and pulled me into a hug.

"I actually had a lot of fun tonight, thanks for forcing me to go."

"Anytime," I smiled then gave her a look, "what university calls this late at night?"

She gave me a devilish grin, "I didn't want to say it in front of Kei but it was Matt. He wanted to hang out after the game."

"Oh my gosh! Are you going to?" I tried to whisper squeal.

"As if! My mother would never let me go and if she did I might have to bring Kei with me, ugh!"

I looked at Mabel's eyes, how they went from an excited light to now a dull, giving-up look. The two were so close to really being together that I knew I had to do something.

So I found myself walking over to the car and knocking on the window.

Mabel's mother rolled the window down.

"Evening, Alyssa, do you need a ride home?" She smiled.

"Actually... Penny and I were going to meet back at my house for a sleepover. Would Mabel be able to join us?"

She thought about it for a moment, "I suppose we have nothing on tomorrow. Does she need anything from home?"

I shook my head, "I have spare clothes. Thank you so much, Mrs Asano."