Chapter 12 - Never Too Careful

Ever since being late to school that one time, I had made it a habit to wake up earlier than my normal time.

That day had consisted of being tardy and ending up with a water balloon popping over my head with Matt and Robin and their stupid friends laughing.

Laughing at me.

So no, I wasn't about to let that happen again.

I brushed my hair back and pulled on one of my usual outfits. Not having to think about fitting a criteria because school was a try but don't look like it casual.

As I tied up my shoelaces a knock on my door echoed and Leon's head popped in.

He wiped his eyes and looked me up and down.

"We don't even need to leave for another hour and a half, why are you so over prepared?" He groaned.

I shot him a warning look, "what do you want?"

"Dad insisted we all have breakfast together before Marcus leaves."

I hid my surprise. Family breakfast? That was strange. The only meal we really took seriously was dinner, but since dad's times changed and Marcus wasn't around, even that became a get-what-you-want.

So I was now fully alert, following Leon downstairs and into the dining room where dad and Marcus already were.

Plates with pancakes were already set up in our usual seating positions. I was next to Leon. Marcus was next to dad and the chair at the end of the table was reserved for mum.

But she was at work.

"You cooked?" I asked, taking a bite.

"If by cook, you mean heat up in the microwave. Then yeah, he cooked," Marcus said innocently.

"If I had made them myself, they'd be much more splendid than this... but I'm pretty sure we're missing half the ingredients," dad grinned at me sheepishly.

I couldn't help but smile, to let him know that the gesture was more than enough. After being treated like an adult for so long, it was nice to be reminded what being a kid was.

Food cooked for you. Waking up to a mostly full family where everyone was talking and making jokes. I had missed this.

"Oh, how was the party, Lyss?" Dad asked.

Leon and I perked up. I hadn't been taught on how to lie to my parents.

"It was... good," I started.

Dad chuckled, "come on! That's all you're gonna give me? Who was there? What music was playing?"

I slowly chewed my pancake, the texture suddenly dry and rubbery. What was I going to say? I couldn't lie to save my life.

I met Marcus's eyes and his eyebrows shot up as if trying to tell me what to say. His expression was unreadable and I was once again on my own.

"Well, it was me and Penny and Mabel."

"Of course, you three are always together," dad nodded.

"And Tanya and Savannah and a bunch of their friends, I don't really know their names. I kinda just... stuck with them," I said.

"At least you had fun, right?"

I nodded and swallowed, "heaps of fun."

After we finished breakfast, Marcus and I helped dad clean up the dishes while Leon realised the time and went to go get ready.

Then dad's phone chimed and he headed into the living room to answer it.

"Hey, I didn't wanna ruin your vibe yesterday cause you looked like a sad, dehydrated houseplant—" Marcus started before I punched his arm.