Chapter 21 - Not A Date

"They're really going for the romance vibe, aren't they?" Robin frowned.

He was looking over the booth we were hiding in, watching Matt and Mabel sitting at their two-person table.

It was like they were just on another date, both laughed and spoke so casually.

I just knew Mabel was dying inside.

But it was true, it felt way too romantic. I almost wanted to run home and shower it all off me.

It was a low-light restaurant, the yellow glow making everyone seem so soft. There were many couples due to it being so late at night.

"This feels... wrong," I murmured and looked back over at Robin.

"You're right, how could someone as good-looking as me be on a date with you?" He said sadly.

I took a deep breath in, just don't respond.

"We should go," I looked back over at Mabel, "they actually seem happy."

"No one is happy around you or any of your friends. Especially not Matt."

I clenched my jaw, "are you sure you're not just confusing us for yourself?"

He pretended to think about it, "nope. Pretty sure I mean you."

Two menus slammed down onto our table and I looked up in shock to see a waitress smiling down at us.

"Welcome, can I get you two started with a drink?"

Robin looked at me then up at the waitress, "you guys have apple juice?"

The waitress nodded, though a bit confused.

"Just water," I forced myself to say.

Reality was starting to hit me. I was in this stupid restaurant, trying to make sure my friend was okay.

And Robin was just making it all about himself.

I opened the menu and started looking through it. I didn't want to be in the booth with other couples thinking Robin and I were a couple.

If only it had been anyone else in front of me.

Like Kei.

Having him sitting across from me... I just know our conversation would flow and I could raise his spirits and he would make sure I smiled before him.

My cheeks grew warm as I realised my thoughts and tried to internally bat them away.

"So... you really didn't know Matt was interested in Mabel?" I asked, picking at the edge of the table.

"Does that make me an awful friend in your eyes, does it?" He raised his eyebrows.

I straightened my back and cleared my throat, "no. No. I'm just curious why he didn't tell you."

However, I had my suspicions.

Robin was leaning in the corner where the booth back met the wall. His football jacket swam around him.

"He's always been weird about girls," he waved his hand casually, "I've probably made fun of it one too many times and got him too in his head."

"So it's not because he's embarrassed by Mabel?"

Robin tilted his head to the side, his eyes suddenly intent and careful.

"Now why would you think that?" He asked softly.

I tried to force myself to relax my shoulders. To breathe. To put on a poker face before Robin looked too deep and saw everything in my mind.

"It was just a thought," I brushed it off, "obviously you know Matt better than me. Don't worry about it."