Chapter 19 - Too Much Dignity

"Do you think it's too much?" Penny asked, touching her cheeks.

Mabel slapped her hand away, "no, blush is cute. Blush screams please kiss me."

Penny looked over at me and I shrugged.

"I only know the basics. Blush to me means I'm not a pale ghost."

"Do I even want Marigold to kiss me?" Penny whispered.

"Do you want to kiss her?" Mabel asked.

Penny's eyes widened before her own natural blush sifted onto her cheeks.

"Yes."

"Then there's your answer," I patted her head before slumping down on the couch, "it's just a shame you'll be missing the game."

"The game that none of us have ever been interested in before," Penny pointed out.

"But before this year, Alyssa had never even been to a party," Mabel said.

I nodded, "things are changing. You're on a date with Marigold, Mabel and Matt are talking—"

"And you hopefully are talking to someone and have yet to tell us about," Mabel wriggled her eyebrows and I laughed.

"Nope. You know I would."

That was an absolute lie. Though I was suppressing the feelings, Kei was pumping butterflies into my stomach.

Not telling anyone about them meant they were fluttering like crazy.

If I was to tell Penny, that would be excluding Mabel, so I just wasn't telling either of them. Though I knew Penny had her suspicions.

But if I didn't confirm it then it hadn't become a reality.

Mabel brushed highlighter onto Penny's cheeks and nose.

A knock echoed from the front door and Penny looked over at me with terrified eyes.

"She's early! Go stall her!" She said.

I scrambled up out of my seat and stumbled to the front door, hoping I wasn't about to eat a mouthful of carpet.

"Hey, who's that?" Penny's little sister, Samantha asked from the couch.

"Your sister's date."

I unlocked the door and opened it.

"Marigold," I smiled brightly, "come on in."

Marigold was a lot taller than all of us, maybe even taller than Robin.

She had dark hair with big curls that were usually tied up but now flowed around her shoulders.

A yellow floral dress hung down to her knees that she had decorated with sandals, a patchwork shoulder bag and three necklaces of different lengths.

"You look lovely," I commented and she shyly tucked her hair behind her ear.

"Is it too much?"

I walked over to the couch and encouraged her to do the same, "never."

Mabel walked into the living room, dusting her hands on her jeans.

"Penny is just getting dressed, she'll be out in a few minutes," she smiled sweetly and sat down across from Marigold.

"You guys are good friends, helping her get ready," Marigold said.

"What time will you two be home?" Mabel asked crossing her arms.

I gave Mabel a look to cut it out, she gave me one back that said I got this.