Chapter 26 - Keep Away From

The school hall was partially crowded this morning as I tried to head to roll call. I hadn't seen Kei since last night and wanted to discuss with him when we should tell everyone about us.

Then a hand reached out and grabbed my arm, pulling me away from the crowd and into an empty classroom.

"Penny?" I almost shouted, "why are you so creepy?"

She put a finger to her lips and shut the door, "get away from the windows."

I crouched on the floor whilst folding my arms, "what are you doing?"

Penny then grabbed my shoulders with bursting eyes, "tell me everything about you and Kei!"

My stomach dropped and I grabbed her shoulders, "how the hell do you know about that?"

"Tanya told me about you two, she assumed I already knew. Firstly I'm pissed you didn't tell me sooner but secondly, I knew you two would end up dating!"

"The relationship is still so new! I didn't know how to tell Mabel so I just didn't tell anyone!" I whispered.

"You realise you have to tell Mabel. You can't keep this from her forever," Penny tilted her head to make sure I was listening to her.

I tucked a piece of hair that had fallen into my face, "I'm gonna discuss it with Kei and we'll tell her together."

"She'll understand, though, she's our best friend," she reminded me.

Penny and mine's phone beeped.

"Crap, she's asking where we are," Penny stood up and opened the classroom door, "promise me you'll tell me everything though? And I mean everything."

I followed her out the door, "I'll call you tonight to explain everything. I promise."

Mabel was quick to find us. Her happy grin affected our private worries as she told us about Matt meeting her family and how they loved how kind he was.

When Penny looked at me and gestured at Mabel, I pretended to not see it. I knew what she was implying.

Now would be a good time to tell her.

I chose to ignore it.

Once her excitement calms down I'll tell her right away, I promised myself.

For the rest of the day, I know Penny was looking forward to that phone call. She kept handing me looks then would press her lips together and look away.

"You know, we should all get together this weekend. I feel like we haven't hung out after school for ages," Mabel exclaimed.

"That's cause you've been going on nonstop dates with your boyfriend," Penny ruffled her hair and smiled.

"Well, how about you and Marigold? I always see your posts with her."

Penny blushed, "I'll admit, I have been putting her before you two for the past few weeks. But only because the relationship has been so new, from now on I'm gonna balance it out."

Mabel pulled me into a hug and I laughed in shock.

"What's this for?"

"Just realised how lonely you must feel. I think I've been prioritising Matt too."

"Right," I nodded, "so lonely."

"We need to find you a man," she sighed, "someone hot and kind and definitely smart, they've gotta keep up with your obsession with studying."

I glared at Penny as she mouthed to me, Kei has all those things.

Mabel pulled away and I plastered a smile on my face so she wouldn't grow suspicious.