Wattpad Original

| 6 | A Mate's Worry

⥐ ⋞ ☽ ⋟ ⥐

| Sebastien |

Sebastien watched Jackson leave the interrogation room as he clenched his fists in frustration. He made sure Wilson stayed in his seat and didn't attempt to break his cuffs, and then stepped out into the hall just as Jackson was about to reach the door.

"What the hell was that?" he asked before the kid could speak.

"What do you mean?" Jackson questioned.

"You were supposed to find out where the lab was, not make deals."

Jackson frowned at him. "He's gonna tell me where it is, he just wants to come with us. And I thought this would be a good thing. The higher our numbers, the higher our like...defences and whatever, right?"

He'd like to believe that, but he had a strange feeling about Wilson. That guy was up to something—he had ulterior motives—but Sebastien wasn't yet sure what. He was going to have to bring this to Lord Caedis, too, and there was no doubt in his mind that his boss would accept Wilson's offer and then make him babysit both Jackson and his muto pal.

"We don't know anything about him, Jackson," he said, shaking his head. "Why does he want to find this lab so bad? So bad that he's willing to work with hunters? Did you ever think of asking him that?"

"He wants to expose—"

"Expose the conspiracy, write a ground-breaking story," Sebastien mocked, waving his hands around. "I'm not buying it. Your friend in there is up to something—he's getting something else out of this; that's why he's so desperate to come with you despite the fact he's a species of Caeleste who despise wolf walkers."

Jackson's frown turned into a scowl. "I don't know what you're trying to say, but I know Wilson better than anyone. He's like me. He wants the story. He loves exposing corruption, and he's been looking into this wolf walker Lyca Corp. stuff for ages. I trust him...and you should too."

"Kid, I don't trust anyone. If he signed a deal with Lord Caedis, then it'd be a different story. But right now, your friend is holding valuable information, and the fact he was hanging out with hunters makes him a prisoner. We won't be making any special exceptions or bargaining with him."

"Just let me talk to the pack, please," he pleaded calmly. "I know they'll agree to it—"

"But it's not up to them or you. The choice is ultimately Lord Caedis'." He sighed and dragged his hand over his face. The last thing he wanted right now was to be standing around arguing. This was the only free time he was going to have in what might be weeks, and he wasn't going to spend it working overtime. So, he said, "You know what? Whatever." He looked over his shoulder at a guard standing down the hall. "You, get over here."

The man left his post and hurried over. "Yes, Officer Huxley, sir?"

"Take Jackson down to see his pack. I've gotta run an errand, so make sure no one leaves the room until I'm back. Got it?"

"Yes, sir."

"Wait, you said we could see Damon," Jackson insisted.

Sebastien sighed again. His free time was ticking away. "Yeah, fine. After he's done talking to his pack, take them all to the medical wing waiting room. Their Alpha's in surgery and one of their other guys is getting patched up."

The guard nodded. "Yes, sir. This way," he said to Jackson.

Then, Sebastien headed down the hall. He navigated the building's long, winding corridors, and once he reached the ground floor, he headed out the revolving doors and onto the street.