Wattpad Original

| 36 | Wait Out the Storm

⥐ ⋞ ☽ ⋟ ⥐

| Jackson |

Damon called for everyone's attention. Jackson and Wilson brought their reminiscing of old times to a halt and turned their heads to look at the Alpha. Everyone else gawped at him, waiting for him to tell them what he had to say.

"We may be fewer in numbers now," Damon said, looking around at them. "But we remain strong even in the toughest of times. You have all proven not only your loyalty but also your strength—your will—and not one of us would be here without each other.

"As Alpha, it is within my power to bestow ranks on each of you, and as we are now in a time of war, the time has come for me to do so. Wesley," he said, setting his eyes on the brown and white-furred Epsilon.

Wesley stood up and approach Damon.

"You've proved yourself a great warrior," the Alpha told him. "And I trust that you will serve me well as my new Gamma."

Jackson saw Wesley's eyes widen, and the pack all adorned surprised but excited expressions. It was like most of them knew it was a long time coming, and Jackson agreed that Wesley deserved what he could only think to call a promotion. But what he didn't know was what a Gamma did.

He leaned over to Julian, who was sitting on his right. "Uh...what's a Gamma?"

"Third in command," they answered quietly. "They act as a military leader and work alongside the Zeta or Beta and Alpha during battle or war plans. They also maintain order and give advice...kinda like an elder."

Jackson nodded slowly and watched as Wesley bowed in front of Damon. The Alpha then placed his paw on the wolf's head and closed his eyes.

"Under the witness of my pack and the Moon Goddess, I name you, Wesley Ayek-Blood, Gamma of the Grey Blood Pack," Damon said firmly.

"What's Ayek-Blood?" Jackson asked Julian.

"It must be his family name," they replied.

"So, not everyone in the pack has the same surname?" Wilson questioned.

"No, the pack as a whole just takes the bloodline name of its Alpha," Julian explained.

Wesley stood up and turned to face the pack. Everyone bowed their heads, so Jackson quickly did the same, and when everyone else said it, he also said, "Gamma Wesley."

Damon then looked around again as Wesley went and sat back down. "Brando, Ezhno, and Leon."

The three called wolves approached him.

"Time and time again you three have proved your strength, and I now bestow upon you the rank of Epsilon. Bow," Damon said. Once they bowed, he placed his paw on their heads one by one and said their names, "Brando Marniq-Blood, Ezhno Serkoak-Blood, and Leon Ashevak-Blood. Under the witness of my pack and the Moon Goddess, I name you Epsilons of the Grey Blood Pack." Then, he stepped back and said, "You will now link with your Gamma."

Wesley went over there and shifted into his human form. Brando, Ezhno, and Leon shifted back, too, and then held out their right hands. With the knife from his bag, Wesley cut each of their palms and then his own. He gripped the hand of each of them, and one by one, their eyes gleamed purple for a moment before returning to their usual colour.

The four wolves then went and sat together.

"Dustu Ansong-Blood," Damon said.

With a startled whimper, the Omega wolf tensed up. "Y-yes, Alpha?"