Wattpad Original

| 65 | There Are Laws

⥐ ⋞ ☽ ⋟ ⥐

| Jackson |

It was quiet. No one in the war room spoke a word or moved a muscle; several people shot wary looks around the place, but not a single person dared to even breathe too loudly.

Cyrus looked so furious that anyone might think his head was going to explode. He had his arms crossed, and his eyes were fixed on Jackson, who tried to hide behind Damon and between his huddled packmates.

But Jackson knew that there'd be no hiding once the investigator arrived. Who would come, though? When he debriefed him, Cyrus told him that a family representative would come to decide his fate, and he hoped to God that it wouldn't be Lucian.

The stories that Cyrus practically spat at him echoed around inside his head, though. Demons went to Daevor just for so much punching a royal, and breaking a bone? Cyrus made sure he understood that was much worse than a punch.

He trembled fearfully, twiddling his fingers together as he stared at the door. They wouldn't send him to Daevor, would they? He didn't mean it—well, no...he did. He wanted Raphael to pay for letting Wilson die, but he never intended to kill him...did he? With a nervous frown, he shifted his eyes from the door and glanced around the room. So many of Cyrus' people were looking at him as if he was about to be escorted to the electric chair.

Was he? Was someone coming to end his life?

Jackson's heart started racing, and it almost burst out of his chest when he heard footsteps approaching the door.

This was it, wasn't it? Whoever was coming was coming to tell him whether he'd live or die for what he did. But how was that fair? He didn't even know there were laws! If he'd known it was illegal to attack someone like Raphael, then he never would have done it!

Damon reached back and grabbed his hand.

But it didn't calm him down. If anything, knowing that his mate was worried panicked him even more.

He tightened his grip on Damon's hand with every echoing step, his heart racing faster. He stifled a breath when the door handle turned, and when it opened—

Sebastien?

Jackson let out a relieved huff—

But then Lucian followed in behind him.

Jackson's heart raced so fast that he felt like he might start hyperventilating, and his instincts urged him to dive out the nearest window and make a break for it.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me," Raphael muttered as he stood up straight beside the locker he'd been leaning on.

Lucian smiled across the room at him as he headed towards the table. "I heard you got beat up," he said mockingly.

Raphael snarled at him.

With an amused chuckle, Lucian reached the table and stood beside Cyrus. "Where is he?" he asked with a sterner tone; his piercing blue eyes searched around the room.

Jackson hid behind Damon, trembling, stifling his breaths. The last time Lucian stormed into a room, he dragged Jackson across the floor and almost killed him in front of his pack, and obviously knowing that, his packmates moved a little closer to him, all with the same protective expression on their faces.

Lucian set his sights on Damon. "Move."

Damon scowled in hostility. "No."

"Suit yourself," Lucian said with a shrug.