Wattpad Original

| 37 | Fangs and Blood

⥐ ⋞ ☽ ⋟ ⥐

| Damon |

The storm was calming. Damon listened to the settling wind and watched the barricade slowly begin to fall still. It wouldn't be much longer now until it was time to go outside and lay the traps.

He was confident that he made the right choice making Wesley his new Gamma, and he knew that Brando, Ezhno, and Leon would serve the pack well as Wesley's Epsilons. Even if it wasn't wartime, he felt he would have still made those choices.

"Dad?" Remus asked.

Damon looked at his son, who was sitting beside him.

"Do you...think we'll ever see the others again?"

With a quiet sigh, Damon leaned his back against the wall. "I don't know, if I'm being honest. There's a part of me that wants to find and help them despite what happened, but I also know that Aysel and Elias won't accept any help I offer."

Remus shuffled around and looked a little uncomfortable.

Damon frowned at him. "What is it?"

"I just...miss Rom."

"I do, too."

"Can't we just...go and look for them?" he asked, turning to face him. "Mom and Elias might not accept your help, but I know others will, especially after Mom his Tainn. I feel like we'd all stand a better chance against Kane if we had even half of the other half of the pack."

Damon dragged his hand over his face. "I have no way of finding them, Remus. I wish I did. The best we can do is take out as many of Kane's wolves as we can to ensure the others are safe out there. If we cross paths with them someday, I'll do whatever I can to try and convince as many of them to come back as possible."

Remus looked down at the floor and nodded sadly.

The Alpha placed his hand on his son's shoulder. "If we don't find them by the time we're finished with this mission, I'll ask the Venaticus for help locating them, I promise."

His face lit up as he looked at Damon. "Really?"

He nodded. "Caedis said that we can have whatever we want in return for our help, so as well as someplace for us to set up a new packhouse, I'll ask them to find your mother and the others."

Remus threw his arms around him and hugged him tightly. "Thanks, Dad."

Damon smiled slightly but placed his hands on both of Remus' shoulders. "Listen, when I take the pack out to set up traps, I want you to stay here with Jackson."

He frowned. "But...wouldn't it be better to have Jackson out there helping you fight those guys? I've seen what he can do, and—"

"I need to keep you both safe," Damon said protectively.

Remus looked over at Jackson. "Is he gonna agree to that, though?"

Damon sighed deeply. "I don't know. I need to talk to him about it."

"Do you want me to go get him? I know you don't like his friend, so...I don't mind."

The Alpha nodded. "Sure. Thank you."

He watched his son get up and head over to Jackson, who was talking to Wilson and Julian. When Remus interrupted them and told Jackson that Damon wanted to talk to him, the Alpha saw Wilson shoot him a hostile glare. He did his best to keep himself composed, though; he needed to remain focused.