Wattpad Original

| 33 | Warning

⥐ ⋞ ☽ ⋟ ⥐

| Damon |

Enola was dead. Damon couldn't save her. He had no idea his hunting party was in trouble. His pack was thinning. But he had to stay strong; he couldn't let despair grip hold of him again. He was their Alpha, and he would do whatever it took to keep them safe.

He was going to find out who or what did this and he was going to kill it. With his bare hands, he'd tear Enola's killer apart. He was tired of losing people—he was tired of seeing his pack hurt. His pack need him at full strength. Damon needed to shove aside the worry that his injury was affecting him and do what needed to be done. Enola was the last wolf he'd lose.

Damon set his eyes on the burrow up ahead. Tokala was waiting outside, and when he reached it, the Alpha led the way inside.

The pack were waiting, sitting around Ezhno, Lalo, and Lance, who were all being seen to by Bly. Lance begged her to let him help, but she refused.

"Alpha," Lalo said the moment he saw Damon. He tried to get up, but Bly made him stay down.

"Rest," Damon told him, stopping beside Bly. He then watched Jackson and Wilson join Julian. Anger started boiling inside him. Why did that muto have to stick to his mate like a parasite? He scowled at Jackson's friend, who shot a hostile glare back at him.

"W-what...what happened with Enola?" Ezhno asked through his laboured breaths.

Damon did his best to remain composed. "We couldn't do anything to save her," he explained. "But she is no longer suffering."

"We couldn't...do anything," Lalo lamented. "There were so many of them—they came from every direction."

"Who did?" Damon questioned, taking a step closer to where Lalo lay.

Lalo's blue eyes were filled with fear. "Wolf walkers."

Damon's anger turned into rage...but worry accompanied it. There was only one pack he could think of that would want to harm his wolves: Kane. A cold shiver ran down his spine, but he shoved his concern aside. He wouldn't sit by. He wouldn't run. No one else was going to die, and Damon wouldn't let another thing hinder their progress. They were getting to that lab, and if he had to go through Kane to do it, then he would. He was a Prime. He was built for this.

"How many?" he asked Lalo.

Lalo frowned. "I...at least ten. Maybe more. They were so fast."

"I recognized one of them," Ezhno said. "That...dark brown wolf. Gold eyes."

Damon clenched his fist.

"Ellis?" Julian called with trepidation in their voice.

Ezhno nodded.

"Oh...this is bad," Julian shuddered, shaking their head. "I-I knew he wouldn't just let us go. I knew he'd come—they found us!" they exclaimed, standing up. "W-we have to leave!"

Damon went over to them. "Tell me every single thing you know about Kane, Ellis, and that pack," he demanded.

Julian frowned at him. "W-well, I-I don't know where you want me to start. I-I heard them say he's descended from a Crescent Alpha, and that's why he's so fucked up."

Tokala stood beside Damon. "Chief, if this is Kane's pack...there are at least seventy of them. We have to think carefully about what our next move is."

Damon glanced at him. He was right. The last thing they needed right now was for Damon to let his anger consume him. Seventy wolves against his fourteen...plus Sebastien...and him...Wilson. An all-out war would be suicide, but if he could take them out a small group at a time....