Wattpad Original

| 8 | Ulterior Motives

⥐ ⋞ ☽ ⋟ ⥐

| Sebastien |

The streets were empty when Sebastien left his. He still found himself looking over his shoulder at the few people he saw, but as far as he could tell, they weren't infected.

He felt like he needed to get over himself; Lord Caedis had already begun setting up security measures to ensure no one brought the virus into the city. But his lingering worry for Clementine made it hard for him to stop panicking.

With a quiet sigh, he hurried into the Venaticus building. He nodded at the security guards on his way to the elevator. While he waited to reach his floor, he tapped his foot and stared at the pin pad. He wasn't sure if Caedis was back yet, but he knew Lucian was still here. That kid spent more time in this building than anyone else.

When the elevator doors opened, he walked to the office space. He saw Lucian in his corner office, but there was no sign of Caedis.

This conversation wasn't going to go as smoothly as it would if Caedis was here to keep his nephew in line...but Sebastien couldn't avoid it. Clementine came up with a good point, and he needed to share it.

He knocked on Lucian's door.

Lucian didn't look up from his laptop. "What?"

Sebastien stepped into his office. "Heir Lucian, I have something that Lord Caedis might want to hear."

He still didn't look at Sebastien. "Might?"

"I was thinking about what the reason for this virus being created might be. What if it's supposed to draw Greymore out? We have no idea where he is, right? And neither do the Diabolus. So, what if slaughtering wolf walkers is the Diabolus attempting to bait Greymore? They already took out the asmodi, so it would make sense for them to go after another of the Nosferatu's strongest allies...right?"

"What's the likelihood of Greymore even knowing that this isn't a normal disease that's just floating around?" he mumbled, but he didn't sound very interested.

Sebastien frowned. "A normal disease doesn't turn wolf walkers into undead monsters...sir."

"Okay, well how is he supposed to know that? Is he a scientist?"

Sebastien tried his best to keep calm, but this arrogant kid was pissing him off. Where was Caedis? This would be a whole lot easier if he was here to tell Lucian to stop being an annoying little.... No, no...this was Heir Lucian. He couldn't disrespect him, not even in his thoughts.

He exhaled quietly. "I don't know. Do you know where Lord Caedis is?"

Lucian finally took his eyes off his laptop and looked Sebastien up and down. "Maybe."

"Where is he?"

"I'll tell him. You don't have to worry about it." Then, he spun his laptop around to show Sebastien his notes.

Sebastien moved closer so that he could read them, and he saw that Lucian had already come to the same conclusion Sebastien just pitched.

"Are you emailing Lord Caedis?" Sebastien asked.

Lucian adorned an irritated glare. "No. These are my personal notes." He turned the laptop back around. "He probably doesn't even know how to use email; he's like a million years old."

Amused, Sebastien smirked. "He knows how to use a phone, and if you don't send this to him right now, he's gonna flip a table at both of us."

"I haven't had a chance yet because you keep talking," Lucian muttered, rolling his eyes as he typed on his laptop.