Chapter 3

Carlos' POV''Accidentally in Love'' (Counting Crows)

             As we headed toward the mechanics, my mind was consumed by thoughts of Charles' sister. Not only was she stunningly beautiful, but there was something about her that set her apart from any other woman I had ever met. I shook my head, attempting to shake off those distracting thoughts. This was not the time to be distracted, especially by my teammate's sister. I listened attentively to my final instructions and made my way to my car.

Later that day

                 I found myself back in my hotel room, preparing for the party taking place tonight. I didn't really feel like going. Despite starting in P5, I ended up in P8, and I wasn't in the mood for any celebration. My phone buzzed, and I checked to see who it was. It was Charles.

You coming or what, Mr. Smooth Operator?

                  I let out a sigh and replied, letting him know I was almost ready and that I would message him once I arrived at the venue. After a final spritz of perfume and a quick look in the mirror, I headed out. Upon my arrival, I navigated through the press and fans at the door, finally reaching out to Charles to ask where he was. He responded, and I went to find him. I quickly spotted him with a woman who didn't appear to be his girlfriend. I tapped him on the shoulder, and both of them turned around. To my surprise, the woman was none other than Y/N. I hadn't expected to see her here, but I couldn't deny the happiness it brought me. She was wearing a beautiful teal dress and looked absolutely stunning.

"Carlos, glad you could join us," Charles greeted, man-hugging me.

"Nice to see you again, Carlos," Y/N said, extending her hand.

               Her beautiful smile once again captivated me, and I gladly shook her hand. I didn't want to let go, but I knew I had to before things became awkward. Charles began engaging in small talk, but I found myself paying little attention to him. Suddenly, I felt a hand on my back.

"Sainz, mind if I steal Leclerc for a minute?" Lewis interrupted.

"No, go ahead," I replied.

"I'll be right back, Y/N. Don't worry, Sainz doesn't bite. Not unless you ask him to," Charles quipped.

               Before either of us could react to his comment, Lewis was gone, leaving me standing in front of Y/N.

"Do you want to, uh, find a seat?" I stumbled over my words, blushing from root to tip.

"Sure," she shyly replied.

                I led the way, scanning the room for available chairs. Finally, I found a pair tucked away in a corner and gestured for her to take a seat.

"So, you're a surgeon," I began as I sat down.

"Yes, a head and neck surgeon, to be precise."

"What exactly does that entail?"

"Quite literally what the name suggests: surgery on the head and neck. We just don't operate on brains, but everything else in that region yes."

"Wow! To be honest, I've never heard of that specialty before."

"It's a shame, really. It's far more fascinating and intricate than it may seem. On the bright side, it means more work for me," she smiled.

"You sound a bit like a workaholic," I chuckled.

"Not a workaholic, but perhaps an adrenaline junkie. I'm passionate about what I do." she explained.

              My eyes just couldn't leave her. I found it fascinating how attractive someone becomes when they're talking about something they love.

"What made you choose this specialty?"

"It was my own experience during med school. I always wanted to pursue emergency medicine and trauma, but I fell in love with head and neck surgery, especially after being diagnosed with thyroid cancer. I volunteered to be the subject for a neck ultrasound, and the teacher found a small mass in my thyroid. I ended up accompanying with him throughout the years, and later a biopsy confirmed it was cancer. I had to have my entire thyroid removed."

"You don't have a thyroid?" I exclaimed.

"No, it's not a big deal, really. I just have to take a small pill every morning for the rest of my life and undergo regular scans. It could have been worse—I could have needed radiotherapy."

"You had cancer and didn't require radiation or chemotherapy?" I asked, astonished.

"Nor did I ever see an oncologist," she chirped. "Want to feel my scar?"

"Sure..."

Y/N'S POV

                As soon as I took Carlos' hand and led it to my neck, a jolt of inexplicable sensation coursed through me, sending shivers down my spine. As I guided his fingers to my scar, the feeling only kept intensifying. The same inexplicable sensation that had captivated me earlier in the day now enveloped me once again. I had to quickly withdraw his hands from my neck before things got out of control, but I immediately missed his touch. No, Y/N, you can't allow yourself to think about these things. Focus!

"Cool, right?" I asked, clearly blushing, but hoping he wouldn't notice or mention it.

"Yes, it's smaller than I imagined. If you hadn't mentioned it, I would have never even noticed," he replied.

                We continued our conversation, discussing not only my treatment but also various topics ranging from favorite movies to why we had chosen our respective careers. Time seemed to fly by, and neither of us seemed to notice.

"There you are!" Charles suddenly shouted, nearly causing me to jump out of my chair.

"You disappeared, so we went to find a seat," I explained.

''Did he bite you?'', Charles chuckled.

''Charles!'', I exclaimed.

"Just kidding...mind if I steal him, though? We're both needed elsewhere," Charles asked.

"Be my guest. He's your teammate.''

             I stood up and straightened my dress. Extending my hand toward Carlos, I felt an odd pang of sadness as we were already parting ways.

"It was nice meeting you, Leclerc. Maybe we'll see each other again at one of the races," he said, shaking my hand.

"Doubtful, but you never know," I responded.

                   With one final smile, he was gone, leaving me standing there, contemplating the brief but meaningful encounter.