Chapter 5

CS's POV - ''I See the Light'' (Tangled)

               Ten minutes later, as she had promised, Y/N returned promptly. She led the way to her car, and we headed to the place she had mentioned. Within five minutes, we arrived, and she skillfully parked the car nearby.

"I'm parking here cause it's impossible to find parking right in front of it, but it's just two blocks away," she explained.

"No problem," I replied.

               We walked in comfortable silence until she stopped in front of a flower shop, gazing at the display with a smile.

"You like flowers?" I asked her.

"I love them. People should normalize buying flowers for no reason at all," she replied.

"What's your favorite flower?"

"Orange gerbera daisies and pink frangipani. How about you?"

"I guess gardenias or orchids."

"Classic."

             She sighed and motioned for us to continue, and in no time, we reached our destination. I opened the door for her, and she returned the gesture with a smile. Gosh, she's going to be the end of me! She looked around and chose a table in the far corner.

"So, this is how it works. You choose your bread, meat, toppings, etc. Just like Subway," she explained as she settled into her seat.

"Okay. What do you usually get?"

"Cheddar, eggs, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickles, mayo, ketchup, mustard... classic, but good nonetheless."

"Sounds nice. I guess I'll just add some bacon. Are you into bacon?"

"Not really..."

"What?! How is that even possible?"

"I just don't like it... but I do occasionally marinate some bacon strips in maple syrup overnight and fry it the following morning. You should try it."

"Do you think they have it here?"

"I'm not sure; we can ask."

             We called the waiter over and placed our orders. Unfortunately, they didn't have maple syrup, so I would have to come up with an excuse to have some with Y/N some other time. Fifteen minutes later, our orders arrived.

"So, Y/NN, what's your opinion on F1 since most of your family is involved in it?" I asked as I took a bite of my burger.

"It's... It's complicated. As much as I love it, I really do, I feel like a piece of my heart is ripped out at every single race, and I only get it back when I see my brothers step out of the car. If it's like this for me, imagine what it's like for my mother... I guess that's why I could never date an F1 pilot."

"I have to admit, I've never really thought about it that way, but you make a very good point." I said with a hint of sadness I hoped she wouldn't notice.

"You learn something new every day, Carlos."

"Indeed you do."

                 We continued to talk, our conversation flowing naturally and effortlessly. We discussed everything and nothing at the same time. Time seemed to slip away unnoticed until one of the waiters informed us that they would be closing in 20 minutes. Y/N made a gesture indicating she wanted to pay, but I insisted on taking care of the bill. She protested, but I held my ground. I never let a woman pay on the first date, especially someone as wonderful as Y/N. Wake up, Carlos, this isn't a date! Y/N is just being nice. Shaking off my thoughts, we headed out. Once outside, reality hit me, and I realized that my time with her was coming to an end. So, I did the only thing I could think of.

"Y/NN, I... uh... I was wondering if you'd like to go for some ice cream now," I mumbled.

"Yeah, absolutely. I'd love to," she replied enthusiastically.

"Anywhere you recommend?"

"Yes, there's a street vendor a few blocks from here that's totally worth it."

"Sounds good to me."

"Great."

               We walked in comfortable silence to the place she indicated. We waited our turn and placed our orders. Unfortunately, she beat me to it and paid first.

"Y/NN, please..."

"You paid for dinner, Sainz. It's only fair that I pay for dessert," she insisted.

"But my mom raised me to never let a girl pay... I feel uncomfortable when I don't pay."

"Don't worry about it. You can tell your mom I said she did a good job and raised a fine young man.", she said with a smile. 

            I could only smile and return to my ice cream. Glancing at my watch, I noticed it was already half past eleven. We both realized that we couldn't stretch the evening any longer, so I mumbled something about calling an Uber to get back to my hotel.

"Absolutely not! I'm giving you a ride," she exclaimed.

"But I don't want to bother..."

"I won't hear of it. I may not be an F1 driver, but I can drive and safely get you back to your hotel."

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"100%. Let's go."

"You know, Y/NN, you're an amazing person. The guy who wins your heart will be so lucky to have you by his side."

Y/N's POV

              I immediately started blushing. Carlos Sainz, as it turns out, the kindest pilot and one of the nicest persons I've ever met, just said he thought I was an amazing person. I could hardly believe my ears. I mumbled a thank you and began making my way back to my car. The rest of the walk and drive were relatively silent, but not in a bad way. It was the kind of silence where you feel so comfortable and safe around the person that you're okay with not communicating verbally. Once we reached his fancy hotel, I realized this was it, and I would probably never have another day like this with him again. I stopped the car and decided to take a chance.

"Phone, please," I said, extending my hand to him.

"What for?"

"Just in case you're ever in need of some medical advice."

"Just because of that?" he asked, getting closer to me.

"Yeah, uh... why else?" I mumbled.

"I don't know, you tell me," he whispered, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Done. Here's your phone. Text me so I can save your number."

"Okay... so this is goodbye."

"Yeah... I hope you have a safe trip back and a great season."

"Thanks," he said.

"Y/NN, can I ask you something before I go?"

"Yeah, go ahead."

"Can I hug you goodbye?"

"Hug me?!?"

"Yeah... I didn't mean to scare you off or anything, but I had a very good time, and I don't know when we'll meet again."

"I... I... I guess it's okay."

         Carlos removed his seatbelt and enveloped me in what felt like the safest and most amazing hug I had ever experienced. He had just raised the "hug bar" way too high. After what felt like an eternity but also just a single second, he let go and gave me one last smile before heading out.

"Goodbye, Leclerc," he said.

"Goodbye, Sainz," I replied.

            I watched him enter the hotel and started the car once he was out of sight. As I drove home, I knew that even though this was just a one-time thing, tonight had been the best night I'd had in a very long time. All thanks to my brother's teammate. Once I arrived home, I prepared everything for the following day and went through my skincare routine. As I finally climbed into bed, my phone buzzed.

I had a great time tonight, Leclerc.

Likewise, Sainz, likewise. :)