Chapter 9

CS's POV - ''God Only Knows'' (The Beach Boys)

         I had flown in from Vegas this morning because I was going to have lunch with Y/NN tomorrow. I couldn't wait to see her, but for now, I had to settle for going to the club with some friends.

             We were having drinks and dancing around, but I needed some fresh air. I made my way to the bathroom, and as I approached the restrooms, I couldn't help but notice a couple who seemed to be fighting. As I got closer, I realized it wasn't just a discussion, but the man was actually attacking the woman. And it wasn't just any woman—it was Y/NN. My blood boiled, and without thinking, I lunged at the man and pulled Y/NN away from him.

"Carlos?!" she exclaimed.

"Y/NN," I said as I hugged her tightly.

She started sobbing, and I rested my head on hers.

"It's okay, I'm here. You'll be alright now. No one can hurt you," I calmly reassured her.

"He... he... he... if you hadn't gotten here in time... I... something worse could have happened," she sobbed.

"Listen to my heartbeat. Just focus on that," I cooed as I ran my hand up and down her back.

When we finally let go, I started unbuttoning my shirt and handed it to her.

"Carlos... what are you doing?" she questioned, wiping her tears with the back of her hand.

"You don't deserve to stay undressed in front of prying eyes. This is the least I can do for you."

''I'm okay, you don't have to-''

''Stop telling me you're okay when you're not.'', I said as I helped her put on the shirt.

                  After buttoning up the shirt, I hugged her again. I noticed that one of the security guards was headed our way. I hadn't realized it, but the commotion had attracted quite a crowd around us. I motioned for him to come over.

"Sir, she's okay, but you need to immobilize him and call the police immediately," I instructed.

"Okay. And you need to go to the hospital to get your hand patched up," he replied.

              I looked at my hand and realized it was indeed bloodied. With all the commotion, I hadn't even noticed that I had hurt myself.

"Can't the police take our statement at the hospital? I'm a doctor at Mount Sinai, and I can patch him up myself.", she suggested.

"I'll ask the police when they arrive," the security guard replied.

"Okay..."

               He went to the assailant, who was starting to move a little, and managed to hold him down. Meanwhile, another security guard arrived and was already calling the police. Ten minutes later, the police arrived. Throughout the whole ordeal, I didn't let go of Y/NN. The security guard and I explained the story to the police with as many details as we could, but they still needed to hear it from Y/NN.

"Ma'am, we need to take your statement," one of the officers kindly said.

"Can they do it at the hospital?" the security guard asked. "The guy busted his hand defending the girl. She said she's a doctor at Mount Sinai and that she could patch him up herself."

"Absolutely!" the cop replied. "Mr..."

"Carlos," I replied.

"Carlos, do you want to take my jacket?" he offered, removing it.

"I'd really appreciate that. Thank you," I said as he handed it over.

"Sir, is it okay if I go find my friend first before we go? We came here together to celebrate her birthday, and I want to let her know where we're going," Y/NN requested.

"Of course. What's her name?" the officer asked.

"Victoria Carter. She's a brunette and she's wearing a black jumpsuit," Y/NN replied.

"I'll ask one of the other officers to go get her."

"Thank you."

                  The officer went through the crowd, and in a few minutes, he managed to return with Y/NN's friend. They talked for a bit, and Y/NN explained everything to her. Victoria looked in my direction and mouthed a thank you. I simply nodded in return. This was the least I could do for Y/NN. In truth, I'd do anything for her. They finished their conversation and headed back towards me.

"I'm sorry we're meeting under such circumstances, Carlos. I've heard a lot about you and was excited to finally meet you," Victoria said, extending her hand.

"Likewise," I replied.

One of the cops called for Y/NN so I quickly turned to Victoria.

''Victoria, could you please let the hospital know Y/NN won't be coming tomorrow?''

''Absolutely! Thank you for being here for her... it means a lot.''

               We said our goodbyes and I went after Y/NN. We were escorted out by the officers. We got into one of the police cars and headed to the hospital. The first officer informed us that another officer would drive Y/NN's car to the hospital for her. Upon arriving, Y/NN noticed that it was one of her friends who was on call and asked him if he could help patch me up. Not only did he see that she was clearly distraught, but by our attire and the presence of the police, he knew something was wrong. He refused to let her tend to my wound and instead offered to do it himself while the police took her statement right besides me.

                   After about an hour, we were finally cleared to leave. Y/NN managed to find some old scrubs that I could wear as a makeshift shirt, and I returned the officer's jacket. We headed to the parking lot, and I made it clear to Y/NN that I would drive her home and then take an Uber back to my hotel. She smiled at me and expressed her gratitude. After a 15-minute drive, we arrived at her apartment. I parked her car in the garage, and we headed up to her place.

"Y/NN, is there anything else I can do for you?" I asked as she started unlocking her door.

"No, Carlos, it's one in the morning. You've already done more than enough. You saved my life, risking yours, and I'll never be able to repay you for that," she said lovingly.

"I'd do it again, Leclerc." I said as I hugged her and resting my chin on her head. ''In a heartbeat.''

"Thank you," she sighed. "Goodnight, Sainz."

             She kissed my cheek and gave me one last look before heading inside.

Y/NN's POV

                I looked at Carlos one last time and went inside my apartment. I locked the door and slid down it. Suddenly, a feeling of despair overtook me, and I started sobbing again. Today was the worst day of my life. I had been assaulted and would probably have been raped if it weren't for Carlos. Before I knew it, I was unlocking my door and running down the hall.

"Carlos!"