Chapter 7

Y/N's POV - Friday, September 1st - ''Talk About You'' (Mika)

           Today marked Carlos' 29th birthday, and I was determined to FaceTime him for the occasion. It was 7 am in my time zone while the clock struck 4pm in Monza. I settled myself on the steps of the stairs that led to the roof... in other words, I would be undisturbed there. I pressed the 'call' button, awaiting Carlos' response. To my surprise, he answered almost instantly, already clad in his vibrant red racing suit, his unruly hair adding to his irresistible charm.

"Hey there, happy birthday!!" I exclaimed with genuine delight.

"Thank you for calling, it means a lot.''

''My pleasure.''

''Nowadays, people resort to mere texts. I don't mind it for day-to-day conversations, I personally prefer it, but on special occasions, a phone call means a lot." Carlos happily replied.

"I'm definitely a text-over-call type of girl too, but I totally agree with you," I replied. "Any plans for celebrating tonight?"

"Not really... I can't afford to be hungover during qualifying. However, your brother managed to persuade me to go out for dinner with some of the guys."

"Typical Charles... he always finds a way to convince us to go out. That's how I ended up at that party in May," I chuckled.

"I'm glad he managed to convince you...," Carlos admitted.

             His words sent warmth rushing to my cheeks. Swiftly changing the subject, I interjected before he said anything about it.

"So, are you ready for Sunday? I'm well aware of what Monza means for Ferrari."

"I'm a little nervous, yes, but having Charles and Caco by my side always cheers me up. As does this call from you," Carlos confessed, his voice carrying a mix of vulnerability.

"Carlos, I..."

            My words cut short by the abrupt cacophony of my pager urgently demanding attention. An emergency was set to arrive via helicopter on the roof in a mere three minutes.

"Carlos, I'm sorry, but I have to go. There's an emergency coming in three minutes and they require my immediate assistance. I wish you the best of luck later and hope you have a fantastic evening," I hurriedly explained, a tinge of disappointment lacing my words.

"Thanks. Go save a life, superstar!" Carlos responded, his voice filled with admiration.

"Text me later and let me know how everything went, okay? Bye!"

"Will do. Adiós, chula!" Carlos playfully signed off.

             Did he just call me cute? Before I could fully process the thought, he had ended the call. Hastily pocketing my phone, I raced towards the roof.

Carlos' POV - Friday, October 20th

              Lately, my thoughts have been consumed by Y/NN. Oddly enough, amidst this distraction, I found myself achieving better results and securing more podium finishes in the races. Go figure. Unable to meet her due to my crazy schedule, I decided to send her a bouquet as a token of my affection. Though the flight from Austin, TX to L.A. would be brief, my tightly packed itinerary rendered a physical meeting impossible.

Y/N's POV - a few hours later

            I was currently at the nurses' station filling in some paperwork when one of them arrived with a massive bouquet in her hands.

"They're lovely! Who are they from?" I asked, taken aback.

"They're not for me, they're for you, actually" she replied, emphasizing the surprise.

"For me?!" I exclaimed, caught off guard.

"Yes, and there's a card attached," she added, handing the bouquet over to me.

              The bouquet was a vibrant collection of gerbera daisies, my favorite flowers. Was this mere coincidence, or had someone known my preference? Curiosity piqued, I eagerly opened the accompanying envelope.

I've been thinking of you since I won't be able to visit L.A. this time. I remembered you liked gerbera daisies. I hope you have a great day :)

- Chili

              Carlos had sent me a bouquet, a freaking bouquet! I had never received flowers before, especially not from a man. And now this charming Spaniard sent me a whole bunch of my favorite flowers because we wouldn't be able to meet up this weekend. I reached for my phone, eager to text him.

The bouquet is massive!!! What were you thinking?!?

As I said in the note, Y/NN, I wanted to make up for not being able to come to L.A.

You didn't have to... I completely understand. I have a busy schedule too. However, if you're free on November 17th, we can celebrate my second cancerversary.

How about dinner on Monday, November 19th? It's the day after the race, and I won't be leaving L.A. until Wednesday.

Can we do lunch on Tuesday instead? I have a birthday party to attend on Monday night... would that work for you?

Absolutely. I'm glad that we'll finally be able to see each other again!!!

Same here...

Till November, Y/NN 🌶

OMG, the emoji 😂🤣. Please bring that hat with you!

Will do jjajajajajajja

              I reread our playful exchange, feeling a rush of excitement and anticipation. The months couldn't pass quickly enough.