Chapter 4

Y/N's POV - early August - ''Smooth Operator'' (Sade)

               It was nearing 7pm, and exhaustion permeated my every step as I made my way to the comfort room, eager to change and head home after a grueling 24-hour shift at the hospital. I flopped myself onto the nearest available couch. I had barely closed my eyes for a mere five seconds when the sound of my name echoed through the speakers.

"Dr. Leclerc, Dr. Y/N Leclerc, please make your way to the front desk."

"What now?" I grumbled, reluctantly rising from the couch.

             I trudged towards the elevator, puzzled as to why I was being summoned to the front desk of all places. Within a few minutes, I arrived and approached the clerk, seeking answers.

"Hi, I'm Dr. Leclerc. You called for me. What's going on?"

"There's someone here to see you. He says his name is Carlos," the clerk replied.

"I don't know any Carlos... did he mention why he wants to see me?"

"No, he just said he knew you and wanted to talk."

"Can you describe him?"

"Tall, Spanish accent, and I must say, very good looking," she noted.

"Oh my gosh... you've got to be kidding me. Where is he?" I chuckled.

"He went to the bathroom and should be ba- oh, there he is." she said, pointing behind me.

           I turned around, and there he was — Carlos Sainz, making his way towards me. Despite the impact he had on me back in Monaco, my busy schedule had kept him out of my thoughts. However, I couldn't deny that his unexpected presence here was a pleasant surprise.

"Hi," we both said simultaneously.

"You go first," he said, flashing a charming smile.

"What on earth are you doing here?" I blurted out.

"I happened to be in town, and you mentioned at the party that you'd be working in L.A., so here I am," he explained.

"But I never mentioned which hospital... how did you find me?" I asked, baffled.

"Well, I might have searched every hospital in L.A. with a Head and Neck surgery program, looking for a Dr. Leclerc," he confessed, scratching his neck.

            I was left speechless. I couldn't believe the lengths Carlos had gone to find me. Why did he do it? What could he possibly want with me?

"Okay... But why did you want to see me?" I finally managed to ask.

"Why not? You seem like a nice person, so why not stop by and say hi?" he replied, his eyes filled with warmth.

"I... I..." I stumbled over my words, unsure of how to respond.

"Cat got your tongue, Y/N?" he asked, taking a step closer.

"No..." I trailed off, my thoughts racing.

"So, why are you—"

"Have you had dinner yet?" I blurted out, interrupting him.

"No. Why? Are you asking me out?" he smirked, playfully wiggling his eyebrows.

Smooth, Carlos, smooth. No wonder they call you the Smooth Operator.

"No! I've just finished a long shift, and I'm starving. I was wondering if you'd like to grab a bite since you're here. Do you like burgers?" I asked, trying to regain composure.

"Yes, I do like burgers. Where are you thinking of going?" he inquired.

"There's a place nearby. It's not fancy, but they serve great burgers."

"Works for me," he replied.

"My shift ends at 7 PM. Can you wait until then?" I asked, trying to hide my anticipation.

"I'll be right here, waiting," he assured me, his tone filled with warmth.

              With a flicker of excitement in my heart, I hurriedly gathered my belongings, eager to share a meal and perhaps discover where this unexpected encounter would lead us.