Chapter 16

Y/N's POV - June 22, 2025 - ''Wouldn't it Be Nice'' (The Beach Boys)

                 I managed to take a few days off to come and watch the GP at Barcelona. It was a perfect opportunity to accomplish three things at once: seeing Carlos, seeing Charles, and watching the race. This race held immense significance for Carlos, as it was his 'home race,' even though Monza was considered Ferrari's home race. Winning in his own country would mean the world to him. Beforehand, I had already wished Charles good luck and was currently waiting for Carlos to be cleared to come and say hi to me in the paddock. As I scanned the area, I spotted him and Caco engaged in a hushed conversation in a corner. I wondered about the secrecy, but soon Carlos made his way towards me, fully suited up with his helmet in hand.

'Hey,' I said, putting his helmet on the floor and embracing him. 'How are you feeling?'

'A little nervous, I'll admit, but overall just happy to be here. You know what winning this race would mean to me, but just being back home for a while is already good enough,' he replied, resting his chin on my head.

'Is everything okay between you and Caco? I saw you guys talking in the corner just now...'

'Everything is fine. That was... well, that was boy stuff,' he stuttered.

'Are you sure? Do you want me to go talk to him or something?' I asked, raising an eyebrow.

'No need. We were talking about positive things, I promise,' he said, cupping my face in his hands and giving me a kiss.

                 As always, our kiss quickly intensified, but we were interrupted by someone shouting his name, mentioning five minutes until go time. We said our goodbyes, and I made my way to the area where all the monitors were located.

CARLOS' POV - after the race

              I couldn't believe it. I had done it. I won first place. I won first place in my own country! Everyone was already rushing towards the car, including Y/N, who was wearing the shirt I gave her the Christmas we spent in Monaco. Before I went to hug her, I removed my helmet and quickly approached Caco.

'I'm so proud of you! You deserve this,' he said as we embraced.

                He released me and swiftly placed the little box I had asked him to keep into my hand, gesturing for me to go. With a big smile, I finally started running towards Y/N, who was already running towards me. As we met, she jumped into my arms, wrapping her legs around me and nearly causing me to drop what I had in my hand. I held her tightly as we shared a passionate kiss, her hands threading through my hair and mine roaming her back. I spinned her around and then I set her back on the ground. I quickly looked around for Caco and Charles, who both nodded approvingly at me. Then, I turned my attention back to Y/N.

''You did it! You won!'', she exclaimed.

''I had this amazing woman cheering for me...'', I said, pulling her closer to me with my free hand.

''Nah, it's all you, babe.''

'Y/N...' I said, tightly gripping the little box.

'Yeah?' she responded.

'Thank you, thank you for being here. I really mean it. The victory tastes even better with you by my side,' I said, intertwining my free hand with hers.

'And I'm glad to be here, sharing this with you,' she said, as she gently caressed my cheek with her other hand.

'Um, there's something I want to ask you,' I said, lowering myself to one knee.

'Carlos, what's going on?!' she stammered, as cheers erupted as the crowd around us started realizing what was going on.

'I've been waiting all my life for you... you make me feel like nobody or anything ever has. So, I ask you, half in agony, half in hope, will you marry me?' I asked, opening the box to reveal the ring.

''Yes, yes, yes! A hundred times, yes!' she exclaimed, her eyes filled with happy tears.

              I stood up and took her hand, gently sliding the ring onto her finger, kissing it once I was done.

'I love you, Mrs. Sainz! Thank you for making me the happiest man on Earth,' I said, right before kissing her passionately, reminiscent of that famous sailor kissing the nurse.

'I like the sound of it,' she said, her arms encircling my neck.

'What?', I dreamingly asked.

'Mrs. Sainz. I can't wait until it's official. I can already see it... my own office with a plaque that reads Dr. Y/N Y/MN Leclerc Sainz - Head & Neck Surgery.'

'That's hot,' I whispered, my thumb caressing the tender curve of her neck, while my lips eagerly sought hers, craving another taste.

'Easy, cowboy,' she said playfully as she bit my lower lip, gently pushing me away. 'Now go celebrate with everyone else. You have a podium to be on. I'll see you later.'

'Deal.'