Chapter 18

*The Doctor's POV*

It wasn't easy to be friendly on a ship of Judoon who were eager to arrest us. They all seemed quite nervous about the stars going out, which is unusual for the Judoon, for they are a race that is born and raised for bravely keeping "peace" throughout the galaxies. But I could hear these universal police officers murmuring about apocalypse and chaos and even war in their Judoonian language; I knew the language, but it was not translated for Rose except when we were first arrested. The anxious 'o's in their dialogue were starting to worry me, but all the while, Rose innocently held my hand, and that kept my thoughts straight, for the most part.

Some amount of time later (I never keep track of time, to be honest), we landed with a soft thud at the Shadow Proclamation's headquarters.

Of course, I had been there a few times before, but never at a time like this. All creatures working there were buzzing about with messages and updates on papers and holograms in a mad, frantic rush. Other Judoon officers were marching around with their big guns.
But then Rose and I were marched out into the middle of the centre's floor, and suddenly, all talking and rushing stopped. We were being stared at. I looked to Rose and saw her look down slightly and blush. Silly, modest humans, always getting embarrassed by the littlest things. I returned her hand to my own, hoping to comfort her. When looked up at me and smiled, suddenly given a confident air, I knew I had succeeded.

"Clear the room!" A woman's loud voice shouted from above us. She was standing behind a podium, making me think of a court of law judge.

All people and Judoon in the room moved out quickly. The woman, with white-ish grey hair pulled back in a sort of netting, red eyes and a long black dress didn't speak again until she was certain they had all left. The only ones in the room were a small troop of Judoon officers and their leaders, the woman, me, and Rose.

"Hello Shadow Architect," I addressed the woman.

"Hello Doctor. Rose Tyler." She greeted us with a nod in the least-cold way she could.

"So...you called us! I mean, had us arrested!" I was a little peeved, just for Rose's sake, but I tried to sound laid back, like it was funny.

"You were arrested because you are needed here," the Architect said plainly.

"Um, I think I'm needed more out there, you know. What with the stars going out out there."

"We are aware of this, but you are needed here with Rose Tyler. She is a key part of our plan to solve this disaster. Perhaps even more significant than you, Doctor."

My brow furrowed, and I was about to speak, but Rose got there first.

"Why do you need me so badly?"

For the first time, the Shadow Architect spoke directly to Rose instead of talking about her to me like she was an object. "You have been in the universe parallel to this one, correct?" Rose nodded. The Architect continued. "Then you know how future events will come to unfold. You will help us to find the stolen planets and to punish whoever has taken them."

Though I was concerned about such a burden-- as helping the Shadow Proclamation in what was basically planning war-- being placed upon Rose, I was relieved that we weren't in trouble for basically creating a sort of paradox by reuniting. Obviously, and surprisingly, the Shadow Proclamation hadn't figured that out yet. They were too busy trying to find out where the hell all the stars could have gone to, and I thought this lucky in me and Rose's case.

"You will be our head information officer," the Architect continued explaining to Rose, then turned to me. "And Doctor, you will play an important role as well--"

"Really? What's that, then?"

"You will lead our armies against the unknown captors of the planets," the Architect proclaimed, "and as the last of the Time Lords, you are destined to be the executive general of our war across the universe!"

I laughed nervously. "Um, right! But answer me this-- why does there have to be a war? You can't be entirely certain that this is a hostile form of disappearances?"

Rose pulled me close to her by the hand. She whispered, "It is hostile forces Doctor. I wasn't around enough to see who it was in the other universe, but Torchwood was almost 100% sure that it was alien hostility. You've got to expect talk of war."

I looked at Rose sadly. My Rose, my precious human girl, who was now practically in control of the outcome of a billion stars. I couldn't believe how much she had matured since our departing in at her Bad Wolf Bay. I nodded at her, then whispered back, "Just follow my lead. We're getting out of this."

"My, um, fellow soldier and I have discussed," I directed my voice to the Architect. "And we have decided to accept your... offer." I squeezed Rose's hand, "We just need a few things from my TARDIS first, be right back!"

The Architect nodded, and I led Rose away. "Act natural and casual, like we're not leaving this over-dramatic war zone," I told her.

"Natural and casual, got it."

We walked through the blue doors, and I told Rose to close quickly them as I bounded up to the console. A few dial turns, flip switches, button pushes, and one hefty lever pull later, the cloister bell rang and the TARDIS began to dematerialize from the Shadow Proclamation. I could hear the Architect shouting for me to come back, soon followed by what sounded like many Judoon banging on the doors. But soon, all was silent, and we were drifting in the Time Vortex.

"Glad we got out of that!" I exclaimed.

"Yeah, but what will we do now?" asked Rose, her eyes full of concern.

"Now? Now we save the universe by ourselves. Business as usual!"

~~~

Sorry it took so long for me to update guys! I was at a block, but I got over it!

Hope you liked this chapter! I'll try to update again very soon.

Thank you for reading and commenting and voting! I love you all.