Chapter 20

(A small update to give you guys something to read from this book. Please read author's note at end for important info.)

Enjoy :)

~ ~ ~

The Doctor woke up to a Rose-less bed, which upset him in the midst of his morning grogginess. He therefore went to search for her.

Was she in the bathroom?- nope. Was she in the console room?- nuh-uh. Was she in the library?- no. Where could she be? These were among the only places he usually found her! He hoped she wasn't lost in the TARDIS' endless halls and rooms, but-

Oh no.
Oh no.

What if-?
No. She's got to be here somewhere!

"Rose!" He began to call out. "Rooose?"

He jogged down some halls, calling into each room. Then he smelled something- what is that? Is that... he couldn't remember the name, but it was some breakfast food loved by the humans.

He followed the smell, leading him to the kitchen. Peaking in, he found Rose, cooking something in a pan on the stovetop, then moving quickly to the fridge to pour some juice, then back to the stove, then to the plates in the cupboard... to put it in words, the Doctor quite admired how she worked so efficiently in this kitchen. He loved to see her very human passion for it.

He watched her for a few minutes longer until Rose turned in his direction with plates full of the cooked food.

"Oh!" Rose set the plates down at a nearby table and placed her palm to her heart. "You scared me, Doctor!"

"Sorry," he mumbled. "And good morning. By the way, you scared me, too, because I couldn't find you and-"

"And you were afraid I was gone again?" Rose asked sympathetically.

The Doctor scratched the back of his head. "Yeah..."

"I've gone through that too," Rose nodded. "But anyway, you found me, so let's eat!"

The two sat beside each other, and the Doctor remembered the food he had smelt's name.

"Ah, bacon!" He said aloud. "Hold on, where did you get bacon? Or eggs? Or juice, or rolls, or-"

"Aren't you the one that told me that the TARDIS can supply you with practically anything in the universe?" Rose smiled.

"Yeah, but I never really knew food in the kitchen fell under that category." He poked at his scrambled eggs with his fork before scooping some into his mouth.

"Well, after nearly a thousand years of traveling in the TARDIS, now you know," Rose said and took a bite of her own food.
"So, what's the plan?"

"What?" The Doctor asked with a mouthful of eggs.

"The plan, for the whole planets-disappearing thing?"

The Doctor grunted. "I'm sleepy, I don't want to think about that now, Rose."

"But we need to, Doctor. My whole planet is in danger, along with twenty-six other planets! What if Mum is in trouble? Or Mickey?" Rose insisted.

The Doctor placed his fork down gently and looked her straight in the eyes. "Is this why you were up before me?" He asked with concern. "You couldn't sleep because of this, could you?"

Rose sighed. "I did lose some sleep, yeah. It's just that I get really worried when Earth is being invaded or something and I know that Mum and Mickey are down there without me."

"I know. But we'll protect them, Rose." He pulled his around her. "And we'll protect everyone else."

Rose nodded, but a look of worry was still on her face.

The Doctor saw this, and asked her a question. "Do you remember what I called you on Bad Wolf Bay?"

She tried to think about it, then shook her head. Certain parts of that day were hard to remember, for it was so long ago and she had tried so hard to forget the sad parts.

"I called you 'Defender of the Earth.'" He smiled. "And I am constantly getting your planet back on track. You know what that means?"

"It means we're a great team, who'll never let the Earth or any other planet in the universe down. Alright?"

Rose nodded and grinned. "Alright."

~ ~ ~

Hi guys,

sorry for not updating in so long. As always. I'm just having trouble figuring out where this will go, and a bit of writer's block is holding me back.

That said, I was wondering if you guys could give me suggestions on how Rose and the Doctor could possibly "save the day?" I'm thinking of bringing Donna into it, but I'm totally open to any ideas you guys have! Inspire me!

Thank you! Thanks for being patient and reading! :)