Hesitation

"Would you fucking be quiet," I seethe at Lucien who is breathing obnoxiously beside me as we stake out the warehouse

"Are you seriously yelling at me for breathing," He rolls his eyes, amusement evident in his voice. "Well I wouldn't have to if you learned how to breathe out of your nose," I mumble, adjusting the scope on my sniper.

"Let's just get this over with, there's clearly nobody in there," He yawns. 

I study the warehouse for another minute, noting how there's no cars parked outside and how the building is deadly silent.

I stand up, brushing the dirt off my black cargos before pulling out my phone. "They're pulling up," I tell him as we walk down the grass embankment we had been sitting on, referencing our men who have been waiting in a van down the road.

The van pulls up, the sound of the gravel crackling under the weight of the tires cutting through the silent night air.

Four men including Alonzo, one of my uncles climb out, waiting for us to give them instruction. These men are much experienced than us but my dad ordered them to allow us to lead, believing we'll only learn if we take charge.

I chuck my sniper into the back of the van, opting for a smaller gun before turning towards the men.

"Alright we'll enter, shift as much drugs as possible then burn the place down," I instruct, turning towards the entrance. 

"Yeah we believe there's nobody in there-" Lucian adds but is interrupted by the sound of the metal door opening.

We all halt our movements, staring at the large door in anticipation. I grab my gun, aiming it at the unknown man who comes stumbling out.

The man's eyes widen when he sees us, his actions quick and panicked as he rushes to pull out his own gun.

'No survivors'  my dad's words repeat in my head but I can't seem to pull the trigger. I've always told myself that I'd do what I have to do, I'd convinced myself that if someone posed a threat to my life I'd take theirs away.

But it's easier said than done. 

The man pulls out his gun, his finger resting on the trigger as he raises it to my head but before he can pull it two gunshots ring out, his once panicked face now just splattered blood and flesh against the metal walls of the warehouse.

I turn, seeing Alonzo with his gun raised, his face nonchalant and completely unfazed.

The men push past and enter the building as Lucian sends me a tight lipped smile, delivering a pat to my back before walking past me.

This does little to comfort me, I mentally curse myself for not being able to follow through, especially in front of my brother. For some reason ever since the incident with my ex i've felt the need to prove to him that I'm not weak or second best.