Red herring

I don't know why I'm upset, this is what I wanted

For some reason the idea of being free again doesn't excite me like it would have a week ago.

I don't want to leave, not because this villa is objectively nicer than the hostel but because I don't want to leave these people. This has been the first time in years where I've actually been accepted into a friend group and I don't want it to end now.

I pack my things, which is easy considering it's just the clothes I was wearing when I got here and some trinkets me and Harper bought near the beach.

"You're leaving?" Harper exclaims, storming into the room. "Yeah my background check came back so.." I shrug, doing my best to sound unbothered.

Harper frowns, crossing her arms. "I don't want you to leave," She huffs. 

"I can't live here forever Harper," I laugh, zipping up the backpack she leant me. "Yes you can," She scoffs, approaching me.

"I have to get back to my actual life, I can't just leave all my responsibilities behind," I lie, knowing I really have nothing tying me to my old life.

"I know," She sighs, her shoulders drooping in defeat. "But you have to promise you'll call me everyday so we can still be best friends," She smiles, looking hopeful. 

"Sure," I laugh. "I promise," I assure her, a wave of guilt washing over me. I can make these promises all I like but I'll never be able to fulfil them.

"Anyway.. Emilio sent me in here to fetch you," She mumbles. I nod, hugging her before slinging the bag over my shoulder and heading towards the living room.

I say goodbye to Miles and Tyler, knowing I'll genuinely miss them and I receive a curt nod from Lucian as I pass him on the sofa.

I meet Emilio at the door, our eyes locking as I stand in front of him. He looks like he has something to say but he doesn't, instead opening the door and waiting for me to walk out.

I have something to say too, I want to tell him that I don't want to leave and how much I really need help but my mouth remains clamped shut as I pass him, walking out into the dark night.

"Do you want me to take your bag?" He offers as he walks me to his car. "Nah it's fine," I reply, wrapping my arms around myself as the cold night air causes me to shiver.

"Here," He says, pulling off his fleece and handing it to me. I stare down at it for a second, looking at his ring clad hand grasped around the material and then back up to his face. 

It causes me to laugh, I can't help myself.

"You're so clique," I laugh, causing him to roll his eyes and retract his hand. "Fine I'll wear it," He scoffs.

"No no I'll take it," I giggle, snatching it from his hand. "My knight in shining armour," I gush sarcastically, wrapping myself up in the large jacket.

SaorsaOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara