Separate ways

"Sshh," Harper whispers in between giggles, peeling off her dressing gown and lowering herself out of the bathroom window

We have spent the last hour sneakily completing our pretty simple plan. 

Harper, still mad at Lucian entered the living room and told the boys that she'd be getting an early night. We then got ready in her room before putting on our dressing gowns incase anyone saw our pink outfits and tip toed down to the ground floor bathroom where there's a pretty large window.

"This way, we won't be seen by the guards," She whispers, a bright smile on her face as she points to the large patch of trees at the edge of the property.

We run down the large garden, my pink platforms trudging along the grass as we both try and muffle our laughter.

"Maybe these shoes weren't the best choice," I snort as we duck under branches and step over logs.

Harper and I chat as we walk through the dark, using the flashlight from her phone to illuminate our way until we eventually made it to a road.

"We should have taken a car," I groan as we continue walking down the long road in the direction of the town, my feet already aching from the uncomfortable platforms.

"Nah," She shakes her head. "The guards would have seen and they alert Lucian and Emilio every time anyone leaves or enters the property," She sighs.

"Why so much security?" I question, looking out at the distance sparkling lights of the town as we start to approach.

"Mafia stuff I guess," She shrugs, sounding disinterested in the subject. "Mafia?" I repeat, the surprise evident in my voice.

"Yeah didn't you know?" She asks, her head tilted towards me as her eyebrows furrow together. "No I just thought they were apart of some other cartel.. not the mafia," I reply quietly, this information alarming me.

Escaping from a cartel was one thing but escaping from the mafia is a whole other. I have to be smarter about this, I'm not sure some rushed plan I made up on the spot will be good enough.

"So does it bother you that they're involved in that type of business?" I ask nervously, my mouth dry.

"It did at first but it's not their fault, they were born into it," She recalls. "Plus Lucian assured me that they don't take part in the.. killing aspect," She mumbles, the distaste evident in her voice.

"I don't think I could ever be with someone like that, I'd be too paranoid," I shiver, wrapping my arms around my torso. 

James used to partake in some illegal gambling with some sketchy people during the first year of our relationship and I'd have trouble sleeping thinking about all the times he had owed up to twenty grand to people you wouldn't even want to owe two pence. I couldn't even imagine the paranoia that comes with dating someone in the mafia.